- Title: Asterix's second "father" Uderzo dies at 92
- Date: 24th March 2020
- Summary: PLAILLY, FRANCE (FILE - OCTOBER 9, 1996) (ORIGINALLY 4:3) (REUTERS) ASTERIX STATUE IN AMUSEMENT PARK DEDICATED TO THE COMIC SERIES "ASTERIX AND OBELIX" PERSON IN OBELIX COSTUME WITH ILLUSTRATOR AND CO-CREATOR OF "ASTERIX AND OBELIX", ALBERT UDERZO, GREETING CHILDREN VARIOUS OF ASTERIX, OBELIX AND UDERZO IN PARK (SOUNDBITE) (French) THEN ILLUSTRATOR AND AUTHOR OF "ASTERIX AND OBELIX", ALBERT UDERZO, SAYING: "I had a moment of weakness a few years ago when I said I wanted to stop because I was tired but then I wanted to do it again because I don't feel old enough to stop working."
- Keywords: Albert Uderzo Asterix Obelix Rene Goscinny comic death
- Reuters ID: LVA001C6EVADJ
- Location: PARIS AND PLAILLY, FRANCE
- City: PARIS AND PLAILLY, FRANCE
- Country: France
- Duration: 00:00:29
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Topics: Books,Arts / Culture / Entertainment
- Story Text: EDITORS PLEASE NOTE: THIS EDIT CONTAINS MATERIAL WHICH WAS ORIGINALLY 4:3
Albert Uderzo, illustrator and co-creator of the famous comic series "Asterix and Obelix ," died on Tuesday (March 24), aged 92, his family said.
Uderzo "died in his sleep at his home in Neuilly (western Paris), after a heart attack that was not linked to the coronavirus. He had been extremely tired for the past several weeks," his son-in-law Bernard de Choisy told Agence France Presse.
Uderzo and author Rene Goscinny are known as the "fathers" of the French comic series about a small village of Gauls who stand up to Roman occupiers.
Uderzo was initially the illustrator of the comic strip written by Goscinny, who died in 1977.
After Goscinny's death, Uderzo wrote and illustrated the series until he retired in 2009. Since then, three further books have been written by Jean-Yves Ferri and drawn by Didier Conrad, sticking closely to the original format. The last one, "Asterix and the Chieftain's Daughter", was released in October last year.
Asterix, the moustachioed hero, who has been entertaining readers with his magic-potion exploits alongside Obelix since 1959, has become a mainstay in the publishing industry, with more than 370 million albums sold worldwide.
(Production Hortense de Roffignac)
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Embargoed:7th April 2020 12:12
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None