- Title: London's West End deserted due to lockdown
- Date: 24th March 2020
- Summary: LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM (MARCH 24, 2020) (REUTERS) VARIOUS EXTERIOR OF THE EMPIRE CINEMA VARIOUS OF TAPE ACROSS ENTRANCE TO CINEMA VARIOUS OF CLOSED NOTE ON DOOR TITLED (English) "CLOSURE OF CINEMAS" EXTERIOR OF THEATRE ROYAL HAYMARKET BANNER HANGING OUTSIDE THEATRE FOR PRODUCTION "ONLY FOOLS AND HORSES THE MUSICAL" BANNER POSTERS OF CAST OUTSIDE THEATRE/SHUTTERS OF THEATRE CLOSED POSTERS/SHUTTER SIGN READING (English) "STALLS"/SHUTTER POSTER WITH CLOSURE NOTE STUCK ON IT VARIOUS OF CLOSURE NOTE EXTERIOR OF HER MAJESTY'S THEATRE STREET SIGN READING (English) "THEATRELAND, HAYMARKET SW1" ENTRANCE DOORS OF HER MAJESTY'S THEATRE POSTER FOR PRODUCTION "THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA" DOORS CLOSED OUTSIDE THEATRE/POSTERS FROM THE SHOW DOOR WITH CLOSURE NOTE IN WINDOW CLOSED DOOR CLOSURE NOTE READING (English) "We've brought the curtain down for a while" EXTERIOR OF VUE CINEMA IN LONDON'S LEICESTER SQUARE SCREEN ON CINEMA WALL WITH CLOSURE NOTIFICATION READING (English) "VUE LOOK FORWARD TO WELCOMING YOU BACK TO THE ULTIMATE BIG SCREEN EXPERIENCE SOON" EXTERIOR OF VUE WITH ITS SIGN/SCREEN CLOSED DOORS SIGN READING (English) "VUE" NOTE ON DOOR READING (English) "APOLOGIES, WE ARE TEMPORARILY CLOSED. We hope to reopen soon, visit myvue.com for updates" LEICESTER SQUARE, EMPTY OF PEOPLE POLICEMAN ON BIKE SPEAKING TO WOMAN WEARING MASK FEEDING THE PIGEONS VARIOUS OF EXTERIORS OF CINEMA - ODEON LUXE LEICESTER SQUARE BATMAN STATUE ON TOP OF CINEMA EXTERIOR OF CINEMA/EMPTY STREET OUTSIDE SIGN READING (English) "TICKETS" EMPTY TICKET MACHINES LIGHTS ABOVE DOOR TO CINEMA CINEMA DOORS VARIOUS OF NOTE ON CINEMA DOOR READING (English) "Cinema closed until further notice", EXPLAINING CLOSURE DOORS WITH NOTE ON/WOMAN WALKING PAST WEARING MASK STREET SIGN READING (English) "THEATRELAND, LEICESTER SQUARE" THE ODEON CINEMA IN AN EMPTY LEICESTER SQUARE
- Keywords: Leicester Square London West End cinemas coronavirus lockdown theatreland theatres
- Reuters ID: LVA001C6EX765
- Location: LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM
- City: LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM
- Country: United Kingdom
- Duration: 00:04:55
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Topics: Arts / Culture / Entertainment
- Story Text: The heart of London's theatreland was deserted on Tuesday (March 24), with theatres and cinemas closed due to the coronavirus outbreak.
Iconic cinemas such as Odeon and Vue based in tourist hotspot Leicester Square have notices explaining their closure following government guidance last week on social contact, which led to many entertainment venues closing their doors.
On Monday (March 23), British Prime Minister Boris Johnson ramped up the nation's coronavirus measures enforcing a nationwide lockdown after chairing an emergency Cobra committee.
In a TV message Mr Johnson ordered people to stay at home, banned social gatherings and said nearly all shops must close.
The unprecedented peacetime restrictions, which will last at least three weeks, are intended to stop the state-run National Health Service (NHS) being overwhelmed.
While there were very few people in Haymarket and Leicester Square, some of the capital's roads, while far quieter than usual, were still busy and utility workmen and others were still mingling close together.
Under the curbs on movement, people should leave their homes only for very limited reasons such as going to supermarkets for vital supplies or for exercise once a day.
(Production: Gerry Mey, Sarah Mills)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:7th April 2020 16:58
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None