- Title: Palestinian woman takes workout online to beat coronavirus blues
- Date: 25th March 2020
- Summary: RAMALLAH, WEST BANK (MARCH 21, 2020) (REUTERS) SESSION IN PROGRESS
- Embargoed: 8th April 2020 13:49
- Keywords: Coronavirus Gym Online Palestinian Occupied Territory Ramallah Self-Isolation Women Workout
- Location: RAMALLAH, WEST BANK
- City: RAMALLAH, WEST BANK
- Country: Palestinian Territories
- Topics: Health/Medicine
- Reuters ID: LVA006C6JUJBP
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: A Palestinian fitness instructor is teaching workout classes online to help other women in the Israeli-occupied West Bank stay active after authorities imposed curfew to halt the spread of the coronavirus.
Using the camera on her laptop, Shaden Asad guides online participants through 40-60-minute sessions that cycle through squats, push-ups and abdominal routines, which she normally teaches from a studio in Ramallah.
"For the past three or four days we have been in home quarantine to control the virus, so I moved my sessions online," Asad said. The classes are mostly attended by women.
The Palestinian Authority has banned movement between West Bank cities and ordered citizens to stay at home to slow the contagion, which has infected 62 Palestinians there.
Asad, 43, says maintaining an exercise regimen will help people stay physically fit and take their minds off of the virus.
"We are benefiting from the classes," said Hanin Saleh, "We can beat this disease," she added.
Around 15 women join Asad's online class last week.
(Production: Ismael Khader, Mustafa Abu Ganeyeh, Rami Ayyub)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Footage contains computer game or software screenshots. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing this clip.