- Title: Japan soccer player Kawasumi pulls out of torch relay
- Date: 23rd March 2020
- Summary: WINNIPEG, MANITOBA, CANADA (FILE - JUNE 15, 2015) (REUTERS) NAHOMI KAWASUMI TRAINING WITH JAPAN
- Keywords: Covid-19 Olympics 2020 Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games coronavirus torch relay
- Reuters ID: LVA002C69VZUV
- Location: VARIOUS
- City: VARIOUS
- Country: Japan
- Duration: 00:00:04
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Topics: Olympics,Sport
- Story Text: Japanese soccer international Nahomi Kawasumi said on Monday (March 23) she was withdrawing from the Tokyo 2020 torch relay, citing worry about the risk of being infected with the coronavirus, or infecting others, if she travelled back from the United States.
Kawasumi, a high-profile athlete in Japan known for helping her country win its first World Cup in 2011, plays for Sky Blue FC in New Jersey, near New York City which has seen a surge in coronavirus infections.
"Because of the new coronavirus, I am withdrawing from the torch relay," she said on Twitter.
"I have made the decision so I don't cause trouble for my team and my fans."
Kawasumi is the latest from the sporting world to voice fears about participating in the Summer Olympics or related events because of the coronavirus epidemic.
Team Canada announced on Sunday (March 22) it would not send its athletes to Tokyo 2020, after the International Olympic Committee said it would reach a decision within four weeks on whether to postpone the Games. Team Australia also announced on Monday that it would not be sending a team to Tokyo.
(Production: Tim Hart)
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:6th April 2020 10:36
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None