- Title: IOC working with sports federations on July-Aug 2021 Olympic Games -Yomiuri
- Date: 26th March 2020
- Summary: OKYO, JAPAN (FILE - JANUARY 24, 2020) (REUTERS) OLYMPIC RINGS MONUMENT LIGHTING UP IN FRONT OF RAINBOW BRIDGE TO MARK SIX MONTHS TO GO UNTIL TOKYO 2020 GAMES OLYMPIC RINGS AS FIREWORKS STARTING VARIOUS OF FIREWORKS DISPLAY ABOVE OLYMPIC RINGS MONUMENT AND RAINBOW BRIDGE FIREWORKS DISPLAY ENDING TOKYO, JAPAN (FILE - DECEMBER 15, 2019) (REUTERS) OLYMPIC RINGS OUTSIDE NATIONAL STADIUM
- Embargoed: 9th April 2020 01:57
- Keywords: IOC International Olympic Committee John Coates July-August 2021 Summer Games in Tokyo Yomiuri newspaper
- Location: TOKYO, JAPAN / LAUSANNE, SWITZERLAND
- City: TOKYO, JAPAN / LAUSANNE, SWITZERLAND
- Country: Japan
- Topics: Olympics,Sport
- Reuters ID: LVA001C6OUONB
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:The International Olympic Committee (IOC) is working with sports bodies to arrange for a July-August 2021 Summer Games in Tokyo and is hoping to announce a decision within the coming month, an official was quoted as saying in Japan's Yomiuri newspaper.
Australia Olympic Committee board chair John Coates, who is also head of the IOC's Coordination Commission for the Tokyo Games, told the paper the Games would have to be held between the Wimbledon Championship, scheduled to end July 10 next year, and the U.S. Open in September.
The IOC and Japanese government succumbed to intense pressure from athletes and sporting bodies around the world on Tuesday (March 24), agreeing to push back the Games by as much as one year because of the coronavirus pandemic.
Coates' reported comments added to those of other officials, some of whom have provided contradictory dates.
Coates also told the Yomiuri that the hope was to follow the same arrangements next year that had been planned, including holding the marathon in the northern city of Sapporo instead of Tokyo to escape the heat.
(Production: Kurt Michael Hall)
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Olympic restriction: Clip cannot be re-published without additional clearances from the IOC.