- Title: Nancy Pelosi turns 80
- Date: 24th March 2020
- Summary: WASHINGTON, D.C., UNITED STATES (MARCH 21, 2010) (UNRESTRICTED POOL) PELOSI ON THE HOUSE FLOOR (SOUNDBITE) (English) SPEAKER OF THE HOUSE, NANCY PELOSI (D-CA), SAYING: "After a year of debate and hearing the calls of millions of American, we have come to this historic moment. Today we have the opportunity to complete the great unfinished business of our society and pass health insurance reform for all Americans that is a right and not a privilege." WIDE OF HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES WITH GRAPHIC OVERLAID SHOWING HOUSE VOTE OF 219 TO 212 SOUNDBITE (English) REPRESENTATIVE DAVID OBEY (D-WI) SAYING: "On this vote the yeas are 219. The nays are 212. The motion to concur in the Senate amendment is adopted without objection. The motion to reconsider is laid on the table." DEMOCRATIC LAWMAKERS CHEERING ON THE HOUSE FLOOR
- Keywords: 80 Congress Pelosi Speaker of the House lawmaker woman
- Reuters ID: LVA003C6PI62V
- Location: WASHINGTON, D.C. / ROCHESTER, MINNESOTA / SAN FRANCISCO, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES / DAMASCUS, SYRIA / RIYADH, SAUDI ARABIA / DHARAMSALA, HIMACHAL PRADESH, INDIA
- City: WASHINGTON, D.C. / ROCHESTER, MINNESOTA / SAN FRANCISCO, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES / DAMASCUS, SYRIA / RIYADH, SAUDI ARABIA / DHARAMSALA, HIMACHAL PRADESH, INDIA
- Country: USA
- Duration: 00:00:51
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Topics: Government/Politics
- Story Text: Nancy Pelosi, the only woman to serve as Speaker of the House, turns 80 on March 26 at a time when the world is confronting coronavirus, and the veteran lawmaker is leading the House of Representatives for the second time.
Pelosi has represented San Francisco, California's 12th District for more than 30 years. She has led House Democrats for 16 years.
Her signature issues range from working in partnership with President Barack Obama to pass the landmark Affordable Care Act, to leading democrats in an effort to impeach President Donald Trump.
Pelosi who dropped her opposition to impeachment with a warning that U.S. democracy is at stake, directed a congressional committee to draft articles of impeachment against Trump, an historic step setting up a fight over whether to oust him from office.
The Senate voted against articles of impeachment.
But the bitter feud between Trump and Pelosi persisted, boiling over at his State of the Union speech, with Trump denying her a handshake and Pelosi ripping apart a copy of his remarks behind his back.
Pelosi won her first election in 1987 when she prevailed in a special election for California's Eighth District.
Pelosi was born in Baltimore where both her father and brother served as mayors.
She graduated from Trinity College in Washington, D.C. She and her husband, Paul Pelosi, a native of San Francisco, have five grown children and nine grandchildren.
(Production: Deborah Lutterbeck)
- Copyright Holder: POOL (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:7th April 2020 22:17
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None