- Title: Bespoke masks and 3D printed face shields against coronavirus in Gaza
- Date: 30th March 2020
- Summary: DESIGN OF MASK ON COMPUTER
- Embargoed: 13th April 2020 13:42
- Keywords: Bespoke Face masks COVID-19 Coronavirus Face shields Gaza Palestinians
- Location: GAZA CITY, GAZA
- City: GAZA CITY, GAZA
- Country: Palestinian Territories
- Topics: Living / Lifestyle,Society/Social Issues
- Reuters ID: LVA002C78VIOL
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Artists in Gaza are creating bespoke designs for face masks to encourage people in the densely populated Strip to wear them.
Dergham Qreiqea, 23, and two of his friends, started the project when the first two COVID-19 cases were reported earlier this month. According to health officials, the number of infections has risen to nine since.
Health experts say that the infection could spread quickly in a territory where about 2 million Palestinians share a surface of 375 square kilometres (145 square miles) and where medical supplies are scarce.
"Some of our drawings are also scary, to deliver the message that this virus is fatal and must be taken seriously", artist Tamer al-Deib told Reuters, wearing a mask painted with a red-toothed smiling mouth.
His friend, artist Samah Saed, told Reuters that she developed the concept at home.
"My kids would refuse to wear their masks, so I drew a teddy bear on one, a flower and a balloon on others. Images that would make them want to wear the masks." she said.
Some sewing factories in the enclave are now solely focused on producing face masks and personal protective suits in a bid to alleviate the severe shortages of medical supplies.
Other initiatives to locally produce protective gear are seeing the light in the Gaza Strip. Information engineer Mohammad Abu Mattar began 3D printing a specialized mask.
"We decided to work on is a mask called 'face shield' that covers the whole face. It protects doctors or workers who are in direct contact with COVID-19 patients from any droplets or discharge of liquids.
Schools, mosques, public markets and event halls have all been shut in Gaza to minimize the spread of the coronavirus.
(Production: Mohammad Shana, Arafat Barbakh, Suheir Sheikh)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Footage contains computer game or software screenshots. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing this clip.