- Title: Jerusalem Palm Sunday ceremony takes place without crowds
- Date: 5th April 2020
- Summary: JERUSALEM (APRIL 5, 2020) (REUTERS) ACTING LATIN PATRIARCH OF JERUSALEM, ARCHBISHOP PIERBATTISTA PIZZABALLA SHAKING INCENSE BURNER DURING PALM SUNDAY CEREMONY VIEW OF DOME OF THE ROCK
- Keywords: COVID-19 Jerusalem coronavirus mass palm sunday procession
- Reuters ID: LVA001C87SJEV
- Location: JERUSALEM
- City: JERUSALEM
- Country: Jerusalem
- Duration: 00:00:10
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Topics: Religion/Belief,Society/Social Issues
- Story Text: In a solemn ceremony that would usually have been attended by thousands of worshippers, Roman Catholic church leaders on Sunday (April 5) held a special prayer service on the Mount of Olives overlooking Jerusalem's Old City and the iconic Golden Dome of the Rock.
Acting Latin Patriarch Of Jerusalem, Archbishop Pierbattista Pizzaballa said the situation was sad but church leaders must show solidarity with their followers.
Franciscan friars wearing surgical masks and gloves made house calls in Jerusalem on Palm Sunday, delivering olive branches to Christians who are self-isolating as a precaution against the coronavirus.
One of the friars used a loudspeaker in the streets of the walled Old City to summon people to their front doors and windows, where they received branches and blessings.
The beginning of the Holy Week leading to Easter, Palm Sunday commemorates Jesus' arrival in Jerusalem. Scripture speaks of supporters scattering palm fronds in his path, an act often replicated today with branches of other native trees.
Jerusalem's churches, like Muslim and Jewish places of worship, are now closed to the public to help slow the spread of the coronavirus. That has prompted the faithful to find alternatives to group prayer in a month in which the festivals of Passover, Easter and Ramadan will be marked in close succession.
(Production: Dedi Hayun, Ammar Awad, Suheir Sheikh)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:19th April 2020 16:45
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.