- Title: Guitarist raises spirits over Italy's deserted Piazza Navona
- Date: 5th April 2020
- Summary: MASTRANGELO PLAYING GUITAR / PEOPLE IN THE SQUARE APPLAUDING MASTRANGELO AND HIS FATHER, FABIO MASTRANGELO, HOLDING ITALIAN FLAG AND SINGING ITALIAN NATIONAL ANTHEM NAVONA SQUARE
- Embargoed: 19th April 2020 09:15
- Keywords: COVID-19 Coronavirus outbreak Italy Rome guitarist pandemic quarantine
- Location: ROME, ITALY
- City: ROME, ITALY
- Country: Italy
- Topics: Health/Medicine
- Reuters ID: LVA003C87S3LZ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Young guitarist Iacopo Mastrangelo played his instrument on a rooftop overlooking eerily quiet Navona Square on Saturday (April 4).
"We wanted to help the people, to above all give a message of hope", said Mastrangelo.
Italy reported its lowest daily rise in COVID-19 deaths for nearly two weeks on Saturday and said the number of patients in intensive care had fallen for the first time.
Officials urged the country not to flout strict lockdown measures they said were starting to show results, although new cases rose by 4,805 on Saturday which was slightly higher than recent daily increases.
The Civil Protection department reported 681 deaths, bringing the total to 15,632 since the outbreak of the new coronavirus epidemic in northern Italy on Feb. 21. It was the lowest daily rise in deaths since March 23.
(Production: Alberto Lingria, Alessandro Felici)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.