- Title: Moscow's deserted streets disinfected on first weekend of lockdown
- Date: 5th April 2020
- Summary: MOSCOW, RUSSIA (APRIL 5, 2020) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF MAN WEARING RESPIRATOR POURING DISINFECTANT INTO TANK DISINFECTION VEHICLES MAN CLOSING TANK, WALKING AWAY SAINT BASIL'S CATHEDRAL MAN WEARING ORANGE OVERALLS SPRAYING PAVEMENT AND WALL MAN SPRAYING STREET SIGN VARIOUS OF MAN SPRAYING PAVEMENT, WALL AND LAMP POST VARIOUS OF VEHICLES SPRAYING DISINFECTANT ACROSS BOLSHOI MOSKVORETSKY BRIDGE VARIOUS OF VEHICLES SPRAYING DISINFECTANT ON PAVEMENT ON TVERSKAYA STREET TVERSKAYA STREET, RUSSIAN DUMA MAN WHEELING DISINFECTION EQUIPMENT TO TRAFFIC LIGHT TRACTORS TOWING TANKS DRIVING PAST VARIOUS OF MAN DISINFECTING TRAFFIC LIGHT VARIOUS OF BARRIER IN FRONT OF PARK ENTRANCE SIGN ON BARRIER READING (Russian): "DEAR MUSCOVITES! TO AVOID BECOMING INFECTED WITH CORONAVIRUS, WE ASK YOU TO RESTRICT THE TIME YOU SPEND IN PARKS. AVOID LONG WALKS AND PLACES WHERE PEOPLE GATHER. OBSERVE A SOCIAL DISTANCE OF 2 METRES. LOOK AFTER YOURSELF AND YOUR LOVED ONES. STAY HEALTHY!"
- Keywords: COVID-19 Moscow Russia coronavirus disinfection
- Reuters ID: LVA001C87SPQF
- Location: MOSCOW, RUSSIA
- City: MOSCOW, RUSSIA
- Country: Russia
- Duration: 00:03:00
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Topics: Health/Medicine
- Story Text: Moscow's deserted streets were disinfected on Sunday (April 5) on the first weekend after Russian President Vladimir Putin extended a national holiday in Russia until April 30.
Workers clad in protective clothing and vehicles could be seen spraying disinfectant on the capital's roads, pavements and street signs. According to Deputy Mayor of Moscow Petr Biryukov, around 3,500 units of disinfection equipment were involved.
Moscow, the epicentre of the country's outbreak, has been in lockdown since Monday and many regions across the country have since imposed similar measures.
Putin on Thursday (April 2) said in his second address to the nation in eight days that decisive measures by Russia had helped to buy time in its battle to contain the coronavirus and to prevent an explosive growth in cases.
Authorities have confirmed 3,893 coronavirus cases in Moscow out of a total of 5,389 nation-wide with 45 reported deaths.
(Production: Alexander Reshetnikov, Peter Scott)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:19th April 2020 12:43
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None