- Title: Coronavirus lockdown hits grape exports in Indiaâ€™s â€˜wine capitalâ€™
- Date: 5th April 2020
- Summary: NASHIK, MAHARASHTRA, INDIA (APRIL 05, 2020) (ANI - NO USE INDIA) VARIOUS OF GRAPES HANGING IN TREES IN FARM FARMERS PLUCKING GRAPES FROM TREES FARMERS WASHING GRAPES AND DRYING THEM IN SUN TO MAKE RAISINS VARIOUS OF GRAPES BEING DRIED UP TO MAKE RAISINS (SOUNDBITE) (Hindi) FARMER, PULAK NIMSE, SAYING: "The labours are not coming at work due to the coronavirus (lockdown). They are also scared to work in the farmsâ€¦ as gathering in the farms might increase the risk of infection, so they won't come to work. Some of them are demanding 400-500 rupees ($5-6) per day. Our family members are selling some 4-5 kilogram of grapes by ourselves." FARMERS WASHING GRAPES AND DRYING THEM IN SUN TO MAKE RAISINS GRAPES BEING DRIED UP TO MAKE RAISINS
- Keywords: India Maharashtra Narendra Modi Nashik coronavirus farmers farming grapes labours lockdown
- Reuters ID: LVA001C87RADR
- Location: NASHIK, MAHARASHTRA, INDIA
- City: NASHIK, MAHARASHTRA, INDIA
- Country: India
- Duration: 00:01:28
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Topics: Health/Medicine
- Story Text:Farmers cultivating grapes in India's 'wine capital' of Nashik are losing their business, as they are unable to export their produce due to the prevailing 21-day lockdown imposed to fend off the spread of coronavirus.
Cultivators in India's largest grape-producing state of Maharashtra on Sunday (April 05) said they are in dismay as the labourers denied working in the farms amid fears of the contagion.
With no work and no source of income to pay rent or buy food, millions of labourers returned back to their villages after Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi announced a three-week lockdown on March 24, where people aren't allowed to step out of houses until April 15th.
- Copyright Holder: ANI (India)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:19th April 2020 13:00
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None