- Title: Fifty-six migrants rescued in Atlantic arrive in Canary Islands
- Date: 5th April 2020
- Summary: ARGUINEGUIN, SPAIN (APRIL 4, 2020) (REUTERS) (NIGHT SHOTS) VARIOUS OF SPANISH COAST GUARD SHIP "TALIA" ARRIVING AT PORT CARRYING RESCUED MIGRANTS MIGRANTS WAITING TO DISEMBARK MIGRANTS DISEMBARKING MIGRANTS WAITING TO DISEMBARK MEMBER OF RED CROSS MEASURING BODY TEMPERATURE OF MIGRANT VARIOUS OF MIGRANTS DISEMBARKING VARIOUS OF MEMBERS OF EMERGENCY SERVICES
- Keywords: Canary Islands Europe Spain boat coronavirus migrants pandemic
- Reuters ID: LVA001C87RRRB
- Location: ARGUINEGUIN, SPAIN
- City: ARGUINEGUIN, SPAIN
- Country: Spain
- Duration: 00:01:18
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Topics: Asylum/Immigration/Refugees,Government/Politics
- Story Text: Spanish coast guards rescued 56 migrants, including one minor, in the Atlantic Ocean on Saturday (April 4).
A coast guard plane informed about the position of two vessels sailing to the Canary Islands.
Overnight coast guard ship Talia found the vessels and transferred the migrants to the rescue ship and set course to Arguineguin port in Gran Canaria.
Thirty nine men, 16 women and a four-year-old girl disembarked after members of emergency services measures their body temperature as a precaution due to the coronavirus crisis.
Migrants also had to put their clothes in plastic bags and dress with new clothes provided by emergency services.
Overall arrivals of migrants in March have decreased by 18.7 percent compared to the same time last year, interior ministry figures show but the number of migrants arriving to the Canary Islands have quadrupled.
With patrols tightening access to the Mediterranean coast, migrants have opted for alternative routes in the Atlantic.
(Production: Borja Suarez, Silvio Castellanos)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:19th April 2020 09:30
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None