Indian Christians pray outside shut churches, at homes on Palm Sunday amid lockdownRecord ID: 1467735
- Title: Indian Christians pray outside shut churches, at homes on Palm Sunday amid lockdown
- Date: 5th April 2020
- Summary: VARIOUS OF PRIESTS HOLDING CEREMONIES AS SEEN ON DIFFERENT DEVICES CHILD LISTENING TO SERMON ON PHONE
- Keywords: Chennai India Mumbai Palm Sunday church coronavirus disease health prayers
- Reuters ID: LVA002C87QFK7
- Location: CHENNAI, TAMIL NADU/ MUMBAI, MAHARASHTRA/ KOTTAYAM, KERALA, INDIA
- City: CHENNAI, TAMIL NADU/ MUMBAI, MAHARASHTRA/ KOTTAYAM, KERALA, INDIA
- Country: India
- Duration: 00:00:12
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Topics: Health/Medicine
- Story Text: Christians in parts of southern and western India offered Palm Sunday prayers outside shut churches and at their homes as the places of worship remained closed on Sunday (April 05) due to the 21-day lockdown announced by Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi to contain coronavirus spread.
Christians mark the day as Palm Sunday when Jesus rode into Jerusalem and was hailed by the crowd as Messiah, only to be crucified days later. The poor wanted to follow him but in Palestine, they had nothing but Palm leaves, which later became a symbol of following Jesus.
Few devotees were seen outside southern Chennai city's St. Patrick's church, who offered prayers from outside of the church and prayed for the coronavirus to end.
While churches in Mumbai were deserted, in southern Kottayam city, devotees were seen watching sermons at their homes through live streaming of sermons.
India has reported 3030 cases and 77 deaths.
- Copyright Holder: ANI (India)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:19th April 2020 11:39
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Footage contains computer game or software screenshots. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing this clip.