Indian Christians pray outside shut churches, at homes on Palm Sunday amid lockdownRecord ID: 1467736
- Title: Indian Christians pray outside shut churches, at homes on Palm Sunday amid lockdown
- Date: 5th April 2020
- Summary: CHENNAI, TAMIL NADU, INDIA (APRIL 5, 2020) (ANI - NO USE INDIA) CLOSED ST. PATRICK'S CHURCH SIGN ON WALL READING (English): "ST. PATRICK'S CHURCH" POLICEMAN WEARING MASK LOOKING ON SIGNBOARD READING (English) : "NEW LIFE A.G. CHURCH" VARIOUS OF CLOSED GATES OF CHURCHES STATUES OF MOTHER MARY AND BABY JESUS / PRIEST FILMING PALM SUNDAY MASS DESERTED EXTERIOR OF CHURCH CLOSED GATE OF CHURCH STONE PLAQUE READING (English and Tamil): "INTERNATIONAL SHRINE OF ST. THOMAS BASILICA" (SOUNDBITE) (English) PRIEST, ROZARIO, SAYING: "It is very sad to have this celebrations without the congregation, without the people of God but understanding the situation of the conditions we hope and we support the government measures and this holy week is very important week to remember the passion, death and resurrection of Jesus Christ which is the central ministry of our Roman Catholic Church and the Christianity." MUMBAI, MAHARASHTRA, INDIA (APRIL 5, 2020) (ANI - NO USE INDIA) EXTERIOR OF EMPTY CHURCH HOLY CROSS ON CHURCH BUILDING CHURCH BUILDING DEVOTEES, SOME WEARING MASKS INCLUDING SHAWN D'SOUZA OFFERING PRAYERS OUTSIDE CHURCH STATUE REPRESENTING CRUCIFICATION OF JESUS CHRIST D'SOUZA OFFERING PRAYERS DEVOTEE WATCHING PRIEST ON HIS PHONE AS HE STANDS OUTSIDE CHURCH STATUE REPRESENTING CRUCIFICATION OF JESUS CHRIST (SOUNDBITE) (Hindi) DEVOTEE, SHAWN D'SOUZA, SAYING: "It feels different but whoever has faith and whoever has belief, they will continue to pray and we are also praying." (Reporter Asking-So what did you pray now?) "Today, I prayed that this coronavirus should end in India and people can return to their normal lives." KOTTAYAM, KERALA, INDIA (APRIL 05, 2020) (ANI - NO USE INDIA) DEVOTEE WATCHING PRIEST ON LAPTOP
- Keywords: Chennai India Mumbai Palm Sunday church coronavirus disease health prayers
- Reuters ID: LVA001C87QFK7
- Location: CHENNAI, TAMIL NADU/ MUMBAI, MAHARASHTRA/ KOTTAYAM, KERALA, INDIA
- City: CHENNAI, TAMIL NADU/ MUMBAI, MAHARASHTRA/ KOTTAYAM, KERALA, INDIA
- Country: India
- Duration: 00:02:03
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Topics: Health/Medicine
- Story Text: Christians in parts of southern and western India offered Palm Sunday prayers outside shut churches and at their homes as the places of worship remained closed on Sunday (April 05) due to the 21-day lockdown announced by Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi to contain coronavirus spread.
Christians mark the day as Palm Sunday when Jesus rode into Jerusalem and was hailed by the crowd as Messiah, only to be crucified days later. The poor wanted to follow him but in Palestine, they had nothing but Palm leaves, which later became a symbol of following Jesus.
Few devotees were seen outside southern Chennai city's St. Patrick's church, who offered prayers from outside of the church and prayed for the coronavirus to end.
While churches in Mumbai were deserted, in southern Kottayam city, devotees were seen watching sermons at their homes through live streaming of sermons.
India has reported 3030 cases and 77 deaths.
- Copyright Holder: ANI (India)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:19th April 2020 11:39
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None