- Title: File: Libyan revolution premier Jibril dies from coronavirus
- Date: 5th April 2020
- Summary: ***WARNING: CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** POSTER OF JIBRIL HUNG OUTSIDE NFA HEADQUARTERS TRIPOLI, LIBYA (FILE - JULY 14, 2012) (REUTERS) JOURNALISTS TAKING PICTURES STANDING BESIDE POSTER OF JIBRIL POSTER SHOWING PHOTO OF JIBRIL
- Keywords: COVID-19 Jibril dies from coronavirus Libya Libya revolution Mahmoud Jibril coronavirus
- Reuters ID: LVA002C87QLVR
- Location: CAIRO, EGYPT AND TRIPOLI, LIBYA
- City: CAIRO, EGYPT AND TRIPOLI, LIBYA
- Country: Libya
- Duration: 00:00:15
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Topics: Health/Medicine
- Story Text:Mahmoud Jibril, who abandoned Muammar Gaddafi to become Libya's rebel prime minister during the 2011 revolution, died on Sunday (April 5) after contracting the coronavirus, an aide and his party said.
Jibril was interim leader until the country held its first free elections in four decades in 2012, following the toppling of Gaddafi the year before. He died in a private hospital in Cairo where he had been treated since contracting the virus late last month, said the aide, Fawzi Ammar.
Jibril, who was in his late 60s, had mainly lived in Egypt in recent years after losing power. A former technocrat in Gaddafi's regime, he was sidelined following the 2012 election and the passing of a law which banned former Gaddafi officials from public office.
Before Jibril passed away, Libya's internationally recognized government in Tripoli had confirmed 18 coronavirus cases in the country and one death.
(Production: Hanna Rantala, Louisa Naks)
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:19th April 2020 17:34
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Footage contains photographs or artwork. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing this clip.