"We're dying" - inmates hang signs in windows after 276 test positive for coronavirus at Chicago prisonRecord ID: 1468493
- Title: "We're dying" - inmates hang signs in windows after 276 test positive for coronavirus at Chicago prison
- Date: 10th April 2020
- Summary: CHICAGO, ILLINOIS, UNITED STATES (APRIL 9, 2020) (REUTERS) EXTERIOR OF COOK COUNTY JAIL, WITH SIGN ON WALL READING 'COOK COUNTY DEPARTMENT OF CORRECTIONS, DIVISION 10, MAXIMUM SECURITY' SIGN IN PRISON WINDOW READING 'HELP, WE MATTER' SIGN IN PRISON WINDOW READING 'HELP, NO SUPPLY' SIGN IN PRISON WINDOW READING 'WE DIEING (DYING), HELP US' SIGN IN PRISON WINDOW READING 'WE QUARANTINE' PRISON WINDOWS AND BARBED WIRE OBSERVATION TOWER AT PRISON TWO PEOPLE WEARING MASKS WALKING PAST PRISON SIGN PRISON BEHIND BARBED WIRE TWO MEN IN UNIFORM CROSSING STREET IN FRONT OF PRISON
- Keywords: COVID-19 Chicago Cook County coronavirus positive protest signs test windows
- Reuters ID: LVA001C8WPZK7
- Location: CHICAGO, ILLINOIS, UNITED STATES
- City: CHICAGO, ILLINOIS, UNITED STATES
- Country: USA
- Duration: 00:01:18
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Topics: Health/Medicine
- Story Text: Cook County jail in Chicago has become a coronavirus hot spot, with 276 inmates and 172 Sheriff's Office staff testing positive as of 5pm EDT (2200gmt) on Thursday (April 9), according to the Cook County Sheriff's Department.
Signs could be seen in prison windows reading 'we're dying,' help, no supply' and 'help, we matter'.
Of the inmates who have tested positive, 21 are at local hospitals and 36 are at recovery facilities. One prisoner has died of apparent complications due to COVID-19, the disease caused by the novel coronavirus.
The Sheriff's Office said detainees who test positive are isolated and their cellmates quarantined and monitored.
Across the United States, jails and prisons are reporting an accelerating spread of the new disease. Thousands of inmates are being released from detention.
(Production: Jim Vondruska/Jane Ross)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:24th April 2020 00:40
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None