Cuenca residents perform traditional Good Friday drum concert despite coronavirus lockdownRecord ID: 1468737
- Title: Cuenca residents perform traditional Good Friday drum concert despite coronavirus lockdown
- Date: 10th April 2020
- Summary: CUENCA, SPAIN (APRIL 10, 2020) (REUTERS) VIEW OF CUENCA / BRIDGE VARIOUS OF DESERTED STREETS CHILDREN ON BALCONY DRESSED IN TRADITIONAL CLOTHES AND HOLDING DRUMS MAN OUTSIDE HIS DOOR DRUM SEEN THROUGH GATE MAN HOLDING DRUM RESIDENTS STANDING BY THEIR ENTRANCE MAN SIGNALLING BEGINNING OF CONCERT VARIOUS OF CHILDREN PLAYING DRUMS VARIOUS OF MAN PLAYING DRUM MAN WEARING MASK PLAYING DRUM CHILDREN PLAYING DRUM FAMILY IN TRADITIONAL CLOTHES PLAYING DRUMS VARIOUS OF AMBULANCES DRIVING THROUGH STREETS VARIOUS OF LITTLE GIRL PLAYING DRUM VARIOUS OF AMBULANCES AND HEALTH STAFF LINED UP IN SQUARE WOMAN PLAYING DRUM ON HER BALCONY VARIOUS OF RESIDENTS PLAYING DRUMS ON THEIR BALCONIES VARIOUS OF AMBULANCES DRIVING PASSED MAN GESTURING CROSS SIGN VARIOUS OF RESIDENTS PLAYING DRUMS FROM THEIR RESIDENCES MAN CLAPPING FROM BALCONY VARIOUS OF RESIDENTS PLAYING DRUM FROM THEIR BALCONIES MAN AND WOMAN MAKING NOISE WITH KITCHEN WOODEN SPOONS (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) CUENCA RESIDENT, SALVADOR RECUENCO MORENO, SAYING: "It's a very special day, last year it also rained and if it rains there is a bit probability that it doesn't happen, but this year even though it rained, we still came out and were able to enjoy it, during these bad times, to be able to come out and play the drums, it is a very special day." RESIDENT WATCHING FROM THEIR BALCONY TRADITIONAL INSTRUMENT BEING PLAYED FROM WINDOW VARIOUS OF BABY SEEN FROM GATE VARIOUS OF SAUSAGE DOG WATCHING
- Keywords: Cuenca Easter Spain coronavirus lockdown
- Reuters ID: LVA001C8WPSG7
- Location: CUENCA, SPAIN
- City: CUENCA, SPAIN
- Country: Spain
- Duration: 00:04:50
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Topics: Health/Medicine
- Story Text: Residents of Spanish city of Cuenca performed the traditional Easter 'Turbas' drum concert on Good Friday (April 10) despite coronavirus lockdown measures.
Families dressed in traditional clothes played drums and traditional instruments from their balconies as ambulances drove though the streets with their sirens on to join in the concert.
"This year not even the rain stopped us, it is a very special day," a local resident told Reuters.
The coronavirus death toll curve in Spain flattened further on Friday as the government debated different strategies to start phasing out one of the world's strictest lockdowns.
With more than 15,800 fatalities, Spain has the second highest death toll from the COVID-19 disease worldwide after Italy, and Spaniards have been off the streets since mid-March. But the slowdown in the rate of infection and the death toll has enabled officials to consider a gradual easing of the lockdown.
(Production: Raul Cadenas, May Ponzo)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:24th April 2020 15:06
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None