- Title: Italy extends coronavirus lockdown until May 3 - Prime Minister
- Date: 10th April 2020
- Summary: ROME, ITALY (APRIL 10, 2020) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF CHAPLAINS WEARING PROTECTIVE MASKS WALKING HOLDING CRUCIFIX THROUGH SAN GIOVANNI HOSPITAL ATRIUM TO GIVE A BLESSING TO THE MEDICAL STAFF CHAPLAIN WEARING PROTECTIVE MASK PRAYING IN FRONT OF ALTAR FAITHFUL AND CHAPLAIN WEARING PROTECTIVE MASKS LOOKING AT ALTAR
- Keywords: COVID-19 European Union Italy Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte Rome San Giovanni hospital blessing eurobond health lockdown new coronavirus quarantine
- Reuters ID: LVA002C8WSNYF
- Location: ROME, ITALY
- City: ROME, ITALY
- Country: Italy
- Duration: 00:01:08
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Topics: Health/Medicine
- Story Text:Italian Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte said on Friday (April 10) the government was extending the nation-wide lockdown to contain the coronavirus until May 3, though a few types of shops would be allowed to re-open from April 14.
"This is a difficult but necessary decision for which I take all political responsibility," Conte told a news conference.
The draconian curbs on movement and the shutdown imposed on most shops and businesses across Italy were imposed on March 9, and were scheduled to expire on Monday.
Among a few exceptions to the lockdown extension, Conte said bookshops, stationers and shops selling children's clothes could reopen from April 14.
In other remarks, he said the deal reached on Thursday (April 9) among euro zone finance ministers on an economic package to help the bloc's countries is "still insufficient", adding Italy would continue to battle for the issuance of common debt through euro bonds.
Outside the San Giovanni hospital, chaplains brought a cross outside the wards to give a blessing to the medical staff on Good Friday as Italy is trying to stop the deaths from the COVID-19 epidemic that since the outbreak came to light on Feb. 21 rose to 18,849, the Civil Protection Agency said, the highest in the world.
(Production: Guglielmo Mangiapane, Oriana Boselli, Fabiano Franchitti)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:24th April 2020 20:32
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None