- Title: Easter goes virtual in Argentina as coronavirus locks down tradition
- Date: 10th April 2020
- Summary: COMPUTER SCREEN SHOWING MASS BEING STREAMED
- Keywords: Argentina Church Easter catholic coronavirus holy week mass online pandemic parish priest quarantine restricitions service streaming virtual
- Reuters ID: LVA002C8WSK07
- Location: BUENOS AIRES, ARGENTINA
- City: BUENOS AIRES, ARGENTINA
- Country: Argentina
- Duration: 00:00:04
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Topics: Religion/Belief,Society/Social Issues
- Story Text: Christians all over the world will be forced to adapt to the restrictions, quarantines and lockdowns put in place to halt the spread of the new coronavirus as they celebrate Holy Week and Easter this year.
The Catholic parish of 'Madre Admirable' in Buenos Aires, Argentina has taken the ban on public gatherings in stride and is tending to its flock virtually during the Easter holiday.
On Holy Thursday (April 09), three parish priests stood in front of rows of empty pews and addressed their parishioners through a webcam as they said mass for those following along at home.
"It hurts us as priests to see the empty church today," said Martin Garcia, a priest at 'Maria Admirable' after mass. "But, thanks to God and the technology we have now, we feel very close (to parishioners) because people want to follow along. And, in a way, we can interact with them through these channels and we can all pray," he added.
Argentina's government announced a mandatory national lockdown on March 20 except for essential services like food shopping or medical care.
According to local media, Argentina has had 1,894 confirmed cases of the new coronavirus as of Friday (April 10) which have resulted in 81 deaths.
(Production: Miguel Lo Bianco, Horacio Soria)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:24th April 2020 16:46
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Footage contains computer game or software screenshots. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing this clip.