- Title: Germans gather at drive-in Good Friday service
- Date: 10th April 2020
- Summary: VARIOUS OF WORSHIPPERS IN VEHICLES PIANIST PLAYING AND SINGING VARIOUS OF MINISTERS SINGING
- Keywords: Easter coronavirus coronavirus Catholic coronavirus Christianity coronavirus Germany drive-in
- Reuters ID: LVA002C8WS8YH
- Location: DUESSELDORF, GERMANY
- City: DUESSELDORF, GERMANY
- Country: Germany
- Duration: 00:00:56
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Topics: Religion/Belief,Society/Social Issues
- Story Text: Christians in Germany gathered on Good Friday (April 10) in their vehicles for a drive-in mass amid the coronavirus pandemic.
Strict social distancing measures have helped Germany to slow the spread of the novel coronavirus, including closing schools, restaurants, bars and banning public gatherings such as church services.
The Catholic dean for Duesseldorf, where the gathering took place, called it a "workaround" for a traditional Easter service. Around 300 cars were in attendance for the ecumenic gathering of Catholics and Protestants.
Duesseldorf is located in the western state of North Rhine-Westphalia. The state was an early epicentre of the virus in Germany following an outbreak at a Carnival town parade, but the premier said on Thursday (April 9) that it appeared to be flattening the curve.
With almost 110,000 cases and 2,107 deaths, Germany has weathered the pandemic better than European neighbours such as Italy and France, giving cautious hope some of the restrictions could be eased after Easter.
(Production: David Sahl, Erol Dogrudogan, Barbara Woolsey)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:24th April 2020 12:15
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.