- Title: China firmly opposes U.S. action against China Telecom
- Date: 10th April 2020
- Summary: BEIJING, CHINA (APRIL 10, 2020) (REUTERS) CHINA'S FOREIGN MINISTRY SPOKESMAN ARRIVING AT NEWS CONFERENCE NEWS CONFERENCE IN PROGRESS (SOUNDBITE) (Mandarin) SPOKESMAN OF CHINA FOREIGN MINISTRY, ZHAO LIJIAN, SAYING: "China has noticed relevant reports, and China is firmly opposed to it. The Chinese government has always required Chinese companies to do business based on market principle and to be compliant with the law. Concurrently, we also require them to abide by the local laws and regulations. We urge the U.S. to follow market principle, stop generalizing national security, stop the mistaken action of politicalizing economic issues, stop oppressing Chinese companies with no reason. And provide a fair, just and non-discriminative environment for Chinese companies." NEWS CONFERENCE IN PROGRESS EXTERIOR OF CHINA'S FOREIGN MINISTRY CHINESE NATIONAL FLAG FLYING
- Keywords: China Telecom China- U.S. relation U.S. tech ban
- Reuters ID: LVA001C8WPLC7
- Location: BEIJING, CHINA
- City: BEIJING, CHINA
- Country: China
- Duration: 00:01:13
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Topics: Diplomacy/Foreign Policy,Government/Politics
- Story Text: China's foreign ministry said on Friday that Beijing is opposed to any action by the United States to revoke China Telecom Corp's authorisation to provide international telecommunications to and from the United States.
Chinese foreign ministry spokesman Zhao Lijian told reporters during a daily briefing that the United States must stop politicizing commercial matters.
The U.S. Justice Department and other federal agencies on Thursday called on the Federal Communications Commission to revoke the authorisation for China Telecom due to what they called "substantial and unacceptable national security and law enforcement risks associated with China Telecom's operations." China Telecom has rejected the allegations.
"We urge the U.S. to follow market principle, stop generalizing national security, stop the mistaken action of politicalizing economic issues, stop oppressing Chinese companies with no reason. And provide a fair, just and non-discriminative environment for Chinese companies." Zhao said.
(Production: Fang Nanlin)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:24th April 2020 10:25
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None