- Title: Good Friday prayers in India marred by coronavirus fears
- Date: 10th April 2020
- Summary: MAN HOLDING JESUS CHRIST ON A CROSS IN FRONT OF HIS FACE AS OTHERS (NOT SEEN IN FRAME) CHANT PRIEST READING IN FRONT OF CROSS VARIOUS OF PRIESTS PERFORMING RITUALS (SOUNDBITE) (English) ARCHBISHOP, KOLKATA, THOMAS D'SOUZA, SAYING: "We instructed long time back because all over India, due to the lockdown, all the churches remain closed and no congregation or attending our services, either on Sundays or weekdays or specially this holy week." MUMBAI, MAHARASHTRA, INDIA (APRIL 10, 2020) (ANI - NO USE INDIA) MAN WALKING ON LARGELY DESERTED ROAD IN FRONT OF ST. MICHAEL CHURCH BANNER READING (English): "SIX FEET APART TODAY IS BETTER THAN SIX FEET UNDER TOMORROW" WOMAN OUTSIDE SHUT GATE OF CHURCH NOTICE ON GATE READING INFORMATION ABOUT SUSPENSION OF MASSES IN ENGLISH SHUT CHURCH GATE THIRUVANANTHAPURAM, KERALA, INDIA (APRIL 10, 2020) (ANI - NO USE INDIA) EXTERIOR OF ST. JOSEPH'S CATHEDRAL STATUE OUTSIDE CHURCH CATHEDRAL BUILDING
- Keywords: Good Friday India church coronavirus lockdown prayers religion
- Reuters ID: LVA003C8WQN9R
- Location: NEW DELHI/KOLKATA, WEST BENGAL/ MUMBAI, MAHARASHTRA/ THIRUVANANTHAPURAM, KERALA, INDIA
- City: NEW DELHI/KOLKATA, WEST BENGAL/ MUMBAI, MAHARASHTRA/ THIRUVANANTHAPURAM, KERALA, INDIA
- Country: India
- Duration: 00:01:43
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Topics: Religion/Belief,Society/Social Issues
- Story Text: Churches across India remained shut on the occasion of what was a sombre and quiet Good Friday on April 10 as the country observes 21-day coronavirus lockdown to prevent a rapid spread of the infection.
Churches posted notices and hanged banners at gates, informing suspension of masses and other public gatherings. Local religious leaders asked devotees to pray from their homes.
"(There will be) no congregation or attending our services, either on Sundays or weekdays or specially this holy week," said Archbishop of Kolkata, Thomas D'Souza.
India has 5709 active cases of COVID-19 and 199 deaths from the infection.
- Copyright Holder: ANI (India)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:24th April 2020 08:39
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None