His cross to bear: man reenacts Passion on Mexico streets despite coronavirus lockdownRecord ID: 1468789
- Title: His cross to bear: man reenacts Passion on Mexico streets despite coronavirus lockdown
- Date: 10th April 2020
- Summary: MEXICO CITY, MEXICO (APRIL 10, 2020) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF LOCAL RESIDENT, EDGAR VELASQUEZ, CARRYING A GIANT CROSS ON HIS SHOULDER THROUGH STREETS VARIOUS OF VELASQUEZ RESTING OVER CROSS VARIOUS OF VELASQUEZ CARRYING A GIANT CROSS ON HIS SHOULDER (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) CHRISTIAN DEVOTEE, EDGAR VELASQUEZ, SAYING: "I'm on my own and I don't go near anyone. I'm don't think I'm going to catch it (coronavirus), and you (referring to journalists) are wearing masks. I try to avoid it (physical contact). This is important to me, and I don't have contact with other people. My intention is to get to climb the hill, and from there I'll come back and that will be it." POLICE CAR BLOCKING STREETS POLICE OFFICERS VARIOUS, POLICE CARS BLOCKING STREETS VARIOUS, MERCHANTS CLOSING SHOP (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) LOCAL RESIDENT, ALEJANDRA TOVAR, SAYING: "During this pandemic, during this modern age, I have the same feeling as when I'm at church. For me, God is everywhere if we turn to him, because we are the ones who move away from him. He is always with us." CLOSED CHURCH SIGN THAT READS (Spanish) " ON FACEBOOK: PRECIOUS BLOOD OF CHRIST CHURCH / ON YOUTUBE: PRECIOUS BLOOD" PEOPLE WALKING IN FRONT OF CHURCH CLOSED CHURCH
- Keywords: COVID-19 Easter Mexico coronavirus giant cross
- Reuters ID: LVA001C8WSU9Z
- Location: MEXICO CITY, MEXICO
- City: MEXICO CITY, MEXICO
- Country: Mexico
- Duration: 00:02:30
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Every year on Good Friday, 33-year-old Edgar Velasquez walks the streets of Iztapalapa, a neighbourhood in southern Mexico City, carrying a giant cross on his shoulders, and this year was no exception, even as authorities banned public gatherings due to the COVID-19 outbreak.
Despite the lockdown in Mexico's capital, Velasquez walked for more than four hours carrying an 80 kilogram (176 lb.) cross to demonstrate his Christian faith.
Velasquez, who works as an accountant, said that despite the new coronavirus pandemic he is not afraid of getting sick.
Good Friday in Mexico City normally sees thousands of people attend the Passion Play and Stations of the Cross in Iztapalapa, but this Friday (April 10) police officers blocked the site's entrance, preventing worshipers from gathering.
Mexico has registered 260 new cases of the coronavirus as of Thursday (April 9), bringing the country's total to 3,441 cases and 194 deaths, according the country's health ministry.
(Production: Josue Gonzalez)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:24th April 2020 22:31
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None