- Title: Moscow to introduce passes for travel around the city during lockdown
- Date: 10th April 2020
- Summary: MOSCOW, RUSSIA (APRIL 10, 2020) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF EMPTY SQUARE PARKING ASSISTANT CHECKING PAPERS
- Keywords: COVID-19 Moscow Moscow lockdown Russia coronavirus measures passes in Moscow
- Reuters ID: LVA005C8WSF9J
- Location: MOSCOW, RUSSIA
- City: MOSCOW, RUSSIA
- Country: Russia
- Duration: 00:00:18
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Topics: Government/Politics
- Story Text: Moscow's mayor Sergei Sobyanin said on Friday (April 10) that the city would begin to gradually introduce a system of passes next week to monitor and regulate residents' movements during a partial lockdown aimed at stopping the spread of the coronavirus.
In a televised statement, Sobyanin said that the passes would be introduced in stages. The first would focus on creating permits for those travelling to work.
Residents in Moscow have been told to stay at home unless they need to make essential trips to buy food or access urgent medical care. Police said on Thursday (April 9) they had already caught 400 people ignoring the order and that they faced small fines.
Russia reported 1,786 more coronavirus cases on Friday, its largest daily rise so far, which took the national tally of confirmed infections to 11,917.
The number of coronavirus-related deaths rose by 18 to 94, the Russian coronavirus crisis response center said in a statement.
(Production: Maria Vasilyeva)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:24th April 2020 18:58
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None