- Title: Polish folklore museum moves Easter eggs painting online due to coronavirus
- Date: 10th April 2020
- Summary: LUBLIN, POLAND (APRIL 8, 2020) (REUTERS) TURCZYN SITTING AT TABLE, MAKING EASTER EGGS EASTER EGGS
- Keywords: Easter eggs Polish culture outdoor museum painting eggs workshops online
- Reuters ID: LVA00AC8WS115
- Location: LUBLIN AND NIEMCE, POLAND / INTERNET
- City: LUBLIN AND NIEMCE, POLAND / INTERNET
- Country: Poland
- Duration: 00:00:09
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Topics: Art,Arts / Culture / Entertainment
- Story Text: One of Poland's biggest open air folklore museums in Lublin moved its annual Easter workshops online after the government limited public gatherings and shuttered museums, theatres and cinemas due to coronavirus epidemic.
Following step-by-step instructions from handicraft video tutorials, people locked down in their apartments can decorate Easter eggs with various local techniques such as dyeing, scratching or painting with wax.
Lublin resident, Paulina Swietochowska-Chudy and her daughter Karolina chose a regional craft technique called "batik method" and decorated the eggs by drawing folklore patterns with hot wax before dying an egg.
"This technique let my creativity run wild," Karolina said.
Other cultural institutions in Lublin also decided to provide online tutorials to help residents keep up with Easter traditions.
"Workshop of Cultures", a cultural institution which planned to film professional videos with local artists ahead of Easter, asked local artists to film a video tutorial on their mobile phone.
Different regions of Poland are known for various ways of crafting their eggs and decoration continues until Holy Saturday when families all over the nation used to take their collection of decorated eggs and a selection of other treats and bring them to church to be blessed with holy water by the local priest.
However, due to COVID-19, a staunchly Catholic Poland maintained restrictions on church masses only allowing gatherings of up to five people during the Easter period, forcing most of the churches to cancel the Easter basket blessings.
(Production: Robert Furmanczuk, Malgorzata Wojtunik)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:24th April 2020 12:45
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None