- Title: Basra artist paints tribute to those fighting coronavirus
- Date: 10th April 2020
- Summary: PAINTING SHOWING A COUPLE AND A CHILD WEARING FACE MASKS PAINTING OF A COUPLE AND A CHILD WEARING FACE MASKS (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) 28 YEAR-OLD PAINTER FROM BASRA, DOAA MANSHED, SAYING: "We are using social media such as Facebook because at the moment, people are only thinking about the coronavirus, social media, the news and the ongoing developments". WALL WITH FOUR PAINTINGS, INCLUDING PAINTINGS OF PEOPLE WEARING FACE MASKS VARIOUS OF ARTIST TALKING TO VISITOR WEARING FACE MASK IN FRONT OF HER PAINTINGS
- Keywords: Basra COVID-19 Iraq artist coronavirus painter
- Reuters ID: LVA003C8WPUTJ
- Location: BASRA, IRAQ
- City: BASRA, IRAQ
- Country: Iraq
- Duration: 00:00:37
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Topics: Arts / Culture / Entertainment
- Story Text: Basra-based artist Doaa Manshed is presenting a series of paintings that illustrate her vision of the spreading coronavirus. From paintings of medical workers to abstract representations of the virus attacking the human body, Manshed also uses real face masks that she attaches to her works.
The 28-year-old painter usually works for a private tourism company but is now devoting her time under lockdown to painting. As an artist, she sees her role in illustrating what currently worries society most, the coronavirus pandemic, and in raising awareness throughout her community.
Unable to organize an actual exhibition due to the restrictions imposed on the city of Basra to curb the spread of the coronavirus, Manshed is using social media to promote her works.
So far, COVID-19 has killed 69 people in Iraq and infected 1,232, according to Iraq's health ministry and the World Health Organization.
(Production: Mohammed Aty, Maher Nazeh, Mohammad Katfan, Charlott Bruneau, Hamuda Hassan)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:24th April 2020 14:43
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None