- Title: Jerusalem Good Friday procession limited amid coronavirus concerns
- Date: 10th April 2020
- Summary: JERUSALEM (APRIL 10, 2020) (REUTERS) CHRISTIAN MAN CARRYING A CROSS AND WALKING ALONG THE VIA DOLOROSA IN OLD CITY OF JERUSALEM, BELIEVED TO BE PATH JESUS TOOK ON THE WAY TO CRUCIFIXION THE CUSTODIAN OF THE HOLY LAND, FATHER FRANCESCO PATTON AND FATHER IBRAHIM FALTAS WALKING THE VIA DOLOROSA TO COMMEMORATE THE DEATH OF JESUS FRIARS PRAYING NEAR THE THIRD AND FOURTH STATIONS OF THE CROSS FALTAS READING FROM BIBLE JERUSALEM (APRIL 2, 2020) (REUTERS) STATION 3 OF THE STATIONS OF THE CROSS - JESUS FALLS THE FIRST TIME JERUSALEM (APRIL 10, 2020) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF FRIARS WITH MASKS PRAYING PATTON AND FALTAS WALKING TOWARD OTHER STATIONS (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) FATHER IBRAHIM FALTAS, SAYING: "As you can see it's calm. Four people marching the via Dolorosa ritual. It's first time in history." FRIARS READING FROM BIBLE AND WALKING THE VIA DOLOROSA JERUSALEM (APRIL 2, 2020) (REUTERS) STATION 5 OF THE STATIONS OF THE CROSS JERUSALEM (APRIL 10, 2020) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF SEVERAL CHRISTIANS CARRYING CROSS AND WALKING IN THE OLD CITY OF JERUSALEM ISRAELI POLICE PREVENTING THE CHRISTIANS FROM JOINING THE PROCESSION, DUE TO CORONAVIRUS RESTRICTIONS FOUR FRIARS ARRIVING TO HOLY SEPLUCHRE MAN HOLDING CROSS VARIOUS OF PATTON AND FALTAS ENTERING CHURCH OF HOLY SEPLUCHRE BELLS RINGING IN THE CHURCH HOLDER OF THE CHURCH'S KEY OPENING THE DOOR VARIOUS OF ARCHBISHOP PIERBATTISTA PIZZABALLA, APOSTOLIC ADMINISTRATOR OF THE LATIN PATRIARCHATE OF JERUSALEM AND OTHER ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH WALKING TOWARD CHURCH OF THE HOLY SEPLUCHRE CLOSED DOOR OF THE HOLY SEPLUCHRE VARIOUS OF MAN WEARING CLOAK, PRAYING OUTSIDE CHURCH
- Keywords: COVID-19 Good Friday Holy Sepluchre Jerusalem Via Dolorosa procession restrictions
- Reuters ID: LVA001C8WQTL3
- Location: JERUSALEM
- City: JERUSALEM
- Country: Jerusalem
- Duration: 00:03:25
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Topics: Health/Medicine
- Story Text:PLEASE SEE FURTHER COVERAGE OF THE HOLY SEPLUCHRE IN EDIT 5039-HEALTH-CORONAVIRUS/EASTER-SEPULCHRE
On a sombre Good Friday (April 10) in Jerusalem, a handful of Franciscan friars walked along the Via Dolorosa empty of pilgrims.
Shortly before noon, four Franciscans friars, led by Father Ibrahim Faltas and including Father Francesco Patton, the custodian of the Holy Land for the Roman Catholic church, emerged from the Holy Sepulchre to begin a limited commemoration of what is in normal times a procession packed with pilgrims and tourists along the route of the Via Dolorosa in Jerusalem's walled Old City.
Their ceremonial walk marks the journey that Christians believe Jesus took to his crucifixion and resurrection.
Police fined several journalists for getting too close to the procession and breaking social distancing rules, a Reuters journalist said.
They also dispersed a small group of Palestinian Christians who had flouted restrictions and marched their own large wooden cross through the city.
Holding a medical mask and flanked by clerics, the archbishop then entered the ancient sandstone church to hold a limited service in the building that is revered by Christians worldwide as the site of Jesus' crucifixion, burial and resurrection.
(Production: Roleen Tafakji/Sinan Abu Meyzar/Ismail Khadder/Ammar Awwad/Stephen Farrell)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:24th April 2020 13:02
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None