- Title: Seville's traditional Holy Week procession confined under coronavirus lockdown
- Date: 10th April 2020
- Summary: SEVILLE, SPAIN (APRIL 10, 2020) (REUTERS) EMPTY SQUARE / CLOSED CHURCH WITH BOUQUETS AT ENTRANCE FLOWERS AND CANDLES OUTSIDE CHURCH ENTRANCE CANDLE / PICTURE OF SAINT CLOSED CHURCH VARIOUS OF FLOWERS AND CANDLES AT CHURCH ENTRANCE
- Embargoed: 24th April 2020 11:21
- Keywords: Easter Holy Week Seville Spain coronavirus religion
- Location: SEVILLE, SPAIN
- City: SEVILLE, SPAIN
- Country: Spain
- Topics: Health/Medicine,Editors' Choice
- Reuters ID: LVA001C8WPQVB
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Seville's traditional Holy Week procession 'La Madruga' suffered the effects of the coronavirus lockdown in Spain on Friday (April 10) as all Easter celebrations in the country were cancelled due to the pandemic.
The Macarena's basilica remained shut down with several candles, figures of saints and bouquets of flowers placed at the basilica's entrance, contrasting with last year's edition with thousands of people taking part in the celebration.
Holy Week processions in Andalusia and across the country draw hundreds of thousands of people to the streets during the whole week.
The coronavirus death toll curve in Spain flattened further on Friday as the government discussed different strategies to start phasing out one of the world's strictest lockdowns.
Spaniards have been off the streets since mid-March, but a slowdown of the COVID-19 disease's spread and its death toll has enabled officials to start discussing a gradual easing.
(Production: Mariano Valladolid, Miguel Gutierrez)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None