- Title: India to extend nationwide lockdown to tackle coronavirus - state minister
- Date: 11th April 2020
- Summary: CHANDIGARH, INDIA (APRIL 11, 2020) (ANI - NO USE INDIA) (SOUNDBITE) (Hindi) CHIEF OF INDIA'S NORTHERN HARYANA STATE, MANOHAR LAL KHATTAR, SAYING: "The hint that we got after the discussion (with Narendra Modi) is that the coronavrius lockdown will be extended beyond April 14 for at least two weeks. This is what I believe." NEW DELHI, INDIA (APRIL 11, 2020) (ANI -NO USE INDIA) VARIOUS OF WORKERS SANITIZING HOUSES
- Keywords: Arvind Kejriwal B. S. Yediyurappa Bengaluru India Karnataka Manohar Lal Khattar Narendra Modi New Delhi coronavirus lockdown
- Reuters ID: LVA004C91Q1QN
- Location: NEW DELHI/ BENGALURU, KARNATAKA/CHANDIGARH, INDIA/ INTERNET
- City: NEW DELHI/ BENGALURU, KARNATAKA/CHANDIGARH, INDIA/ INTERNET
- Country: India
- Duration: 00:00:51
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Topics: Health/Medicine
- Story Text: Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi has decided to extend a nationwide lockdown to tackle the spread of the coronavirus, the Delhi state's chief minister said on Saturday (April 11), without saying how long the extension would be for.
Modi earlier in the day held a video conference call with several state ministers. Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal said Modi had "taken (a) correct decision to extend (the) lockdown", without sharing further details.
"If it is stopped now, all gains would be lost. To consolidate, it is imp (important) to extend it," Kejriwal said on Twitter.
India's 21-day lockdown ends on Tuesday but several states had urged Modi to extend it further, even as concerns have risen that the shutdown has put millions of poor people out of work and forced an exodus of migrant workers from cities to villages.
- Copyright Holder: ANI (India)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:25th April 2020 14:33
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None