- Title: South Korean coronavirus patients vote
- Date: 11th April 2020
- Summary: YONGIN, SOUTH KOREA (APRIL 11, 2020) (REUTERS) SOUTH KOREAN COVID-19 PATIENT IN FACE MASK WALKING TOWARD POLLING STATION INSTALLED AT CORONAVIRUS TREATMENT CENTRE FOR THOSE WHO HAVE LIGHT SYMPTOMS OUTDOOR TENTS INSTALLED FOR POLLING STATION SIGN READING (Korean): "POLLING STATION FOR EARLY VOTERS" COVID-19 PATIENT TAKING OFF FACE MASK IN FRONT OF POLLING STATION STAFF IN PROTECTIVE GEAR FOR ID CHECK POLLING STATION STAFF SEATED INSIDE TENT COVID-19 PATIENT STANDING MEDICAL STAFF, POLLING STATION STAFF AND PATIENTS AT POLLING STATION COVID-19 PATIENT RUBBING HANDS WITH HAND SANITISER MEDICAL STAFF AND COVID-19 PATIENT TALKING TO EACH OTHER COVID-19 PATIENT PUTTING ON DISPOSABLE PLASTIC GLOVES (SOUNDBITE) (Korean) COVID-19 PATIENT CASTING VOTE AT POLLING STATION INSTALLED IN TREATMENT CENTRE, WHO DID NOT GIVE HER NAME, SAYING: "At first, I was upset because I thought I wouldn't be able to vote. But after learning I can vote like this, I felt very grateful that patients like myself were given a chance to vote. I think this voting experience is very interesting and special." COVID-19 PATIENT STANDING IN FRONT OF POLLING STAFF VOTER REGISTRATION HANDS OF POLLING STATION STAFF CHECKING ID CARD OF PATIENT COVID-19 PATIENT STANDING COVID-19 PATIENT SIGNING NAME FOR VOTER REGISTRATION COVID-19 PATIENT RECEIVING BALLOT PAPER AND GOING INTO POLLING BOOTH POLLING STATION STAFF IN PROTECTIVE GEAR SEATED OUTSIDE TENT COVID-19 PATIENT IN FACE MASK DROPPING OFF ENVELOPE WITH BALLOTS INSIDE INTO BALLOT BOX AND EXITING POLLING STATION (SOUNDBITE) (Korean) GOVERNOR OF GYEONGGI PROVINCE WHERE TREATMENT CENTRE IS LOCATED, LEE JAE-MYUNG, SAYING: "We can't ask the (COVID-19) patients to give up their right (to vote), but we also cannot let them vote with regular citizens as there would be a high risk of infection. So we set up this at the quarantine facility so that patient can directly vote from there." COVID-19 PATIENT AND MEDICAL STAFF AT POLLING STATION COVID-19 PATIENT WEARING GLOVES RUBBING HANDS WITH HAND SANITISER COVID-19 PATIENT STANDING IN FRONT OF POLLING STATION STAFF FOR VOTER REGISTRATION POLLING STATION STAFF SEATED INSIDE TENT COVID-19 PATIENT WALKING INTO POLLING BOOTH / POLLING STATION STAFF IN PROTECTIVE GEAR SEATED INSIDE TENT COVID-19 PATIENT INSIDE POLLING BOOTH COVID-19 PATIENT DROPPING OFF ENVELOPE WITH BALLOTS INSIDE INTO BALLOT BOX AND EXITING MEDICAL STAFF IN PROTECTIVE GEAR STANDING IN FRONT OF TEMPORARY MEDICAL CENTRES DOORS OF TEMPORARY MEDICAL CENTRES MEDICAL STAFF IN PROTECTIVE GEAR LOOKING ON HANDS OF MEDICAL STAFF IN PROTECTIVE GEAR HOLDING AND MOVING AROUND CORONAVIRUS TEST KITS SIGN READING (Korean): "GYEONGGI PROVINCE TREATMENT CENTRE NO. 1" EXTERIOR OF CORONAVIRUS TREATMENT CENTRE
- Keywords: COVID-19 South Korea coronavirus election patients quarantine centre voting
- Reuters ID: LVA001C91P6X3
- Location: YONGIN, SOUTH KOREA
- City: YONGIN, SOUTH KOREA
- Country: South Korea
- Duration: 00:03:24
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Topics: Health/Medicine
- Story Text: South Korean coronavirus patients cast their ballots at special, early voting booths set up at major treatment centres on Saturday (April 11).
The National Election Commission set up eight polling stations for more than 3,000 coronavirus patients receiving treatment as well as 900 medical staff at treatment centres in hard-hit areas ahead of the parliamentary elections scheduled for April 15.
Patients were able to vote on both Friday (April 10) and Saturday and officials hope that people across the country will also take advantage of early voting to reduce the numbers of voters on election day. All voters are required to wear a mask, use sanitisers and wear plastic gloves.
The election could decide the control of parliament and shape President Moon Jae-in's ability to implement his agenda in the final two years of his administration, including looser fiscal policy aimed at creating jobs, raising the minimum wage, and continued re-engagement with North Korea.
(Production: Dogyun Kim, Hyunyoung Yi)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:25th April 2020 06:38
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None