- Title: Ecuador marks Good Friday by praying in front of closed churches
- Date: 11th April 2020
- Summary: GUAYAQUIL, ECUADOR (APRIL 10, 2020) (REUTERS) VARIOUS, ABANDONED COFFIN UNDER A BRIDGE
- Keywords: COVID-19 Easter Ecuador Good Friday Holy Week coronavirus
- Reuters ID: LVA004C91QM9Z
- Location: GUAYAQUIL & QUITO, ECUADOR
- City: GUAYAQUIL & QUITO, ECUADOR
- Country: Ecuador
- Duration: 00:00:14
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Catholic parishioners gathered on Good Friday (April 10) outside closed churches in Guayaquil to commemorate the Easter holiday, despite the ban of public meetings in Ecuador due to the COVID-19 outbreak.
Ecuadorian Christians celebrated Good Friday without the solemn church services or emotional processions of prior years.
The epicenter of the country's outbreak is in the province of Guayas and its capital Guayaquil, where a humanitarian crisis has left accumulated corpses in streets, hospitals and private homes.
Ecuadorian President Lenin Moreno on Friday announced the creation of a humanitarian assistance account that will be funded with contributions from companies and citizens to address the economic effects of the coronavirus pandemic.
The humanitarian assistance account will be funded, in part, by a contribution of 5% of profits from companies that earned more than a million dollars. The money will serve to finance smaller companies that require capital.
Ecuador reported more than 2,196 new infections in one day on Friday, raising the total number to 7,161. Some 297 have died and another 311 were likely killed by the virus, according to official data.
(Production: Cristina Munoz)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:25th April 2020 04:29
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None