- Title: Moscow toughens lockdown as third week of quarantine begins
- Date: 13th April 2020
- Summary: MOSCOW, RUSSIA (APRIL 13, 2020) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF CARS DRIVING ALONG EMBANKMENT KREMLIN CARS ON EMBANKMENT SAINT BASIL'S CATHEDRAL AND KREMLIN CLOCK VARIOUS OF CARS DRIVING STAR ON TOP OF SKYSCRAPER VARIOUS OF CARS DRIVING BY YAUZA RIVER MAN SWEEPING ROAD SKYSCRAPER VARIOUS OF CARS, TRAMS DRIVING ON BRIDGE VARIOUS OF POLICEMAN TALKING TO TWO MEN CARS DRIVING ALONG TVERSKAYA STREET VARIOUS OF POLICE TAKING PICTURES OF MEN WEARING SURGICAL MASKS VARIOUS OF FOOD COURIERS TALKING PEOPLE CROSSING ROAD BY PUSHKIN SQUARE PEOPLE WALKING ON PAVEMENT
- Keywords: COVID-19 Moscow Russia coronavirus empty streets lockdown quarantine
- Reuters ID: LVA001C9BQ24N
- Location: MOSCOW, RUSSIA
- City: MOSCOW, RUSSIA
- Country: Russia
- Duration: 00:02:32
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Topics: Health/Medicine
- Story Text: The Moscow government introduced tougher measures this week to curb the spread of the coronavirus.
Police checkpoints have been set up on roads around Moscow to ensure that only residents enter the Russian capital and for a valid reason. Police are also conducting round-the-clock patrols of the Russian capital, according to the Ministry of Internal Affairs.
Moscow's mayor Sergei Sobyanin said on Friday (April 10) that the city would begin to gradually introduce a system of passes this week to monitor and regulate residents' movements during a partial lockdown.
Russia on Monday (April 13) reported 2,558 new cases of the novel coronavirus, a record daily rise, bringing its overall nationwide tally to 18,328.
Russia's coronavirus crisis response center said that 148 people diagnosed with the virus have died so far, an overnight rise of 18.
(Production: Lev Sergeev, Maria Vasilyeva, Peter Scott)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:27th April 2020 12:28
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None