- Title: Senegal, Ghana step up fight against coronavirus
- Date: 13th April 2020
- Summary: DAKAR, SENEGAL (APRIL 11, 2020) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF WORKERS LOADING BAGS OF RICE ONTO TRUCKS VARIOUS OF TRUCKS TRANSPORTING RICE LEAVING BAGS OF RICE LOADED ON BACK OF TRUCK BAG OF RICE GRAINS OF RICE VARIOUS OF SENEGAL PRESIDENT, MACKY SALL, INSPECTING OPERATION ARMED GENDARME STANDING IN FRONT OF TRUCK (SOUNDBITE) (French) SENEGAL PRESIDENT, MACKY SALL, SAYING: "It's a large logistical operation because for the first time our country will have to organise the distribution of more than 100 thousand tonnes of rice for 1 million families. For sugar it's 10 thousand tonnes, for pasta it's 10 thousand tonnes, the same quantity for oil, and more than 1 million soap packs will be distributed to even the most remote villages." VARIOUS OF SALL ENTERING CAR CAR LEAVING VARIOUS OF TRUCK LOADED WITH BAGS OF RICE LEAVING ACCRA, GHANA (APRIL 10, 2020) (REUTERS) FACTORY WORKERS PIECE OF COTTON GOING THROUGH SEWING MACHINE FACTORY WORKERS SEWING PILES OF BLUE COTTON FOR PPE SUITS FACTORY WORKERS LAYING HUGE WHITE SHEET WORKERS CUTTING WHITE SHEET WORKERS FOLDING WHITE SHEET AFTER IT IS CUT ACCRA, GHANA (APRIL 11, 2020) (REUTERS) SLEEK GARMENTS CEO NORA BANNERMAN WITH DELEGATION FROM THE TRADE AND INDUSTRY MINISTRY IN FACTORY FACTORY WORKERS PUTTING THE GARMENTS TOGETHER BANNERMAN DEMONSTRATING THE PPE AND MASK ON A MODEL (SOUNDBITE) (English) SLEEK GARMENTS CEO NORA BANNERMAN SAYING: "In total for the 5 companies, we are expected to make about 3.6 million to 4 million face masks over a period of let's say three weeks, so it's a lot of work in a short time. And then, of course, there are the other protective wear. But you know we pray that locally this (COVID-19) is not going to spread but then even with regards to our needs, once that is covered, we are going to have to look beyond our borders. The thing is on the global arena, it's so difficult to find these gear. The countries that are exporting them are also keeping for their own needs." FACTORY WORKER CHECKING OTHER WORKERS' TEMPERATURES ON FACTORY FLOOR WOMEN WORKING ON SEWING MACHINES MODEL WITH PPE AND MASK ON THE FACTORY FLOOR
- Keywords: africa coronavirus disease distribution food aid ghana masks senegal
- Reuters ID: LVA001C9BPPHJ
- Location: DAKAR, SENEGAL / ACCRA, GHANA
- City: DAKAR, SENEGAL / ACCRA, GHANA
- Country: Various
- Duration: 00:04:34
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Topics: Health/Medicine
- Story Text: Senegal and Ghana have stepped up efforts to help their populations cope with the impact of coronavirus.
Senegal on Saturday (April 11) launched a large scale operation to distribute 105 million US dollars worth of food aid to one million households considered vulnerable.
On Monday (April 13) Senegal had 291 confirmed cases.
In Ghana, work has begun at five garment factories to produce more than 3.6 million pieces of personal protective equipment (PPE) as the number of COVID-19 cases continues to rise.
Sleek Garments CEO Nora Bannerman said her factory was producing for Ghana first, and then she hoped to sell to the US and the UK where PPE shortages are being experienced.
Ghana authorities have carried out more than 37,000 tests for the novel coronavirus, the majority of them in the capital Accra, by tracing contacts of confirmed coronavirus cases. Most came back negative.
On Sunday Ghana had 408 confirmed cases. Greater Accra and the country's second-largest city of Kumasi have been in lockdown for two weeks and on Friday the president announced the period would be extended for one more week as of Monday (April 13).
(Production: Christophe Van der Perre, Francis Kokoroko, Yvonne Bell)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Embargoed:27th April 2020 11:24
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None