- Title: Paul McCartney's handwritten 'Hey Jude' lyrics sell at auction for $910,000
- Date: 11th April 2020
- Summary: LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM (FILE - SEPTEMBER 15, 2016) (REUTERS) ***WARNING:CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** VARIOUS OF BEATLES MEMBERS PAUL MCCARTNEY AND RINGO STAR AT THE PREMIERE OF 'THE BEATLES: EIGHT DAYS A WEEK - THE TOURING YEARS'
- Keywords: Beatles Hey Jude Paul McCartney auction lyrics
- Reuters ID: LVA005C91PXSD
- Location: TORRANCE, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES/LONDON AND LIVERPOOL, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM
- City: TORRANCE, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES/LONDON AND LIVERPOOL, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM
- Country: USA
- Duration: 00:00:19
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Topics: Arts / Culture / Entertainment,Music
- Story Text: Former Beatle Paul McCartney's hastily scribbled notes for a 1968 studio recording of "Hey Jude" sold at auction on Friday (April 10) for $910,000, Julien's auctions said.
The lyric sheet, which was used at Trident Studios, London in July 1968, fetched well over its original estimate of $160,000.
Among the 300 pieces of Beatles memorabilia sold at the online auction was the wooden stage of a small Liverpool venue where the Beatles performed before they rocketed to fame, which reached $25,600.
Other items included John Lennon and Yoko Ono's drawing of BAGISM, a term the couple created to satirize stereotyping, that was featured in their 1969 "Bed Peace" documentary, which sold for $93,750.
A drumhead printed with the Beatles logo sold for $200,000, a music video shooting script for "Hello Goodbye" went for $83,200 and an ashtray Ringo Starr used at Abbey Road studios fetched $32,500.
(Production: Jane Ross, Jack Ferry)
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:25th April 2020 00:09
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None