- Title: With no guests, hotel trainees make Easter treats for Berlin homeless
- Date: 10th April 2020
- Summary: BERLIN, GERMANY (APRIL 7, 2020) (REUTERS) TRAINEE CHEFS AT WORK IN KITCHEN INGREDIENTS IN BOWLS VARIOUS OF TRAINEE CONFECTIONER, STELLA-MARIE DEPTA, ADDING FLOUR TO MIXER DEPTA PRESSING BUTTON ON MACHINE VARIOUS OF WHISK MIXING INGREDIENTS VARIOUS OF DEPTA ADDING EGGS BAKING MOULDS SHAPED AS LAMBS (SOUNDBITE) (German) TRAINEE CONFECTIONER, STELLA-MARIE DEPTA, SAYING: When I first heard the number, I was very shocked because its 500 pieces and we have 30 moulds available. I was a little shocked, but also happy when I learned they were for homeless people who perhaps don't have such a nice Easter celebration as we do. I found that great." VARIOUS OF TRAINEE CHEFS FILLING MOULDS WITH CAKE MIXTURE FILLED MOULDS GOING INTO OVEN BUTTONS AND TEMPERATURE CONTROLS ON OVEN CAKES BAKING TRAINEE CHEF CARRYING TRAY OF CAKES CAKES ON BENCH TOP VARIOUS OF TRAINEES WRAPPING CAKES IN CELLOPHANE WRAPPED CAKES HOTEL ADLON DIRECTOR, MICHAEL SORGENFREY, WALKING THROUGH LOBBY ELEPHANT STATUES ON FOUNTAIN IN LOBBY (SOUNDBITE) (German) HOTEL ADLON DIRECTOR, MICHAEL SORGENFREY, SAYING: "We sat down together and thought, 'What good could we do for the helpers?' Then we got the idea to bake. I talked to the trainees and got them involved, they were very enthusiastic and came the idea of making Easter lambs. With Easter around the corner, we can drive to the helpers or to the homeless." ADLON HOTEL LOBBY VARIOUS EXTERIORS OF ADLON HOTEL BERLIN, GERMANY (APRIL 9, 2020) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF HOTEL MANAGEMENT TRAINEE, MATTEO CONTA, DELIVERING CAKES TO DINER (SOUNDBITE) (German) HOTEL MANAGEMENT TRAINEE, MATTEO CONTA, SAYING: "I think it's very good. Despite a pandemic, we can somehow think outside of our boxes and reflect and still do something good for society because usually we're focused on making hotel guests happy, and they're not here. So, we can make other people happy." CAKE ON TRAY MAN TAKING TRAY (SOUNDBITE (German) DIRECTOR OF SOCIAL HELP ENTERPRISE GEWEBO, ROBERT VELTMANN, SAYING: "We think it's amazing. People who live on the street normally can't celebrate Christmas, Easter. So, it's very nice to get a little Easter feeling here, I think for some it's a homey feeling." TRAY BEING PICKED UP FOOD BEING LADLED INTO DISH / TRAY WITH CAKE BEING PICKED UP
- Keywords: Adlon Berlin Adlon Kempinski Adlon hotel coronavirus coronavirus Berlin coronavirus Germany
- Reuters ID: LVA001C8WS9QX
- Location: BERLIN, GERMANY
- City: BERLIN, GERMANY
- Country: Germany
- Duration: 00:06:10
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Topics: Human-Led Feature,Human-Led Stories
- Story Text: With the number of hotel guests low due to the coronavirus crisis, the trainees at Berlin's famed Hotel Adlon haven't had as much to learn from lately.
Management came up with the idea of baking cakes shaped like lambs and donating groceries to homeless dinners for Easter.
Hotel management trainee Matteo Conta said it was good to shift focus into helping others in society while the hotel was largely unoccupied.
Strict social distancing measures have helped Germany to slow the spread of the novel coronavirus, including closing schools, restaurants, bars and banning public gatherings. With almost 110,000 cases and 2,107 deaths, Germany has weathered the pandemic better than European neighbours such as Italy and France, giving cautious hope some of the restrictions could be eased after Easter.
(Production: Martin Schlicht, Oliver Barth, Fanny Brodersen, Barbara Woolsey)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:24th April 2020 11:33
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None