- Title: ASEAN leaders hold special video meeting on coronavirus
- Date: 14th April 2020
- Summary: HANOI, VIETNAM (APRIL 14, 2020) (AGENCY POOL) ***WARNING: CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** EXTERIOR OF MINISTRY OF FOREIGN AFFAIRS IN HANOI SIGN READING (Vietnamese / French / English): "MINISTRY OF FOREIGN AFFAIRS" VIETNAMESE FLAG AND EMBLEM RIOT POLICE WATCHING STREETS ASEAN FLAGS VIETNAMESE PRIME MINISTER NGUYEN XUAN PHUC, SITTING IN FRONT OF A BANNER READING (English): "ASEAN VIETNAM 2020 / SPECIAL ASEAN SUMMIT ON COVID-19" VIETNAMESE DELEGATION SITTING IN FRONT OF TELECONFERENCE SCREENS PHUC SITTING AT TABLE DELEGATION SITTING IN MEETING ROOM (SOUNDBITE) (Vietnamese) VIETNAMESE PRIME MINISTER, NGUYEN XUAN PHUC, SAYING: "All of the ASEAN member countries are doing their best to fight the ongoing COVID-19 outbreak that is negatively affecting people's daily lives, the economy, society and especially the service sector, that makes up 30% of ASEAN's GDP. (It is) challenging the stability and prosperity of the nations." ASEAN LOGO ON BACKDROP NEXT TO THE WORD "COVID-19" (SOUNDBITE) (Vietnamese) VIETNAMESE PRIME MINISTER, NGUYEN XUAN PHUC, SAYING: "The total 15,000 confirmed cases among ASEAN's population of 650 million people is rather low and slowly increasing, compared to the global numbers. This early success helps us to gain more confidence, but at the same time, we can not let our guard down. Instead, we need to work more closely, and with a more active and aggressive spirit to battle the virus together" VIETNAMESE DELEGATION LISTENING (SOUNDBITE) (Vietnamese) VIETNAMESE PRIME MINISTER, NGUYEN XUAN PHUC, SAYING: "I believe this conference will come up with working solutions to overcome the COVID-19 challenge and to stabilize our people's lives, as well as moving forward the sustainability and stability of the region" MEETING IN PROGRESS VIA VIDEO CONFERENCING THAI PRIME MINISTER, PRAYUTH CHAN-OCHA, AND SINGAPOREAN PRIME MINISTER, LEE HSIEN LOONG, LISTENING TO VIETNAMESE MINISTER OF FOREIGN AFFAIRS, PHAM BINH MINH, SPEAKING SULTAN OF BRUNEI HASSANAL BOLKIAH, CAMBODIAN PRIME MINISTER HUN SEN AND LAOTIAN PRIME MINISTER THONGLOUN SISOULITH, LISTENING TO MINH SPEAKING MEETING IN PROGRESS POSTERS ON A NEWS BULLETIN ON HANOI STREET POSTER READING (Vietnamese): "FIGHTING AND PREVENTING COVID-19 IS TO PROTECT YOURSELF AND YOUR OWN FAMILY" CLOSED COFFEE SHOP IN HANOI EMPTY STREET WITH PROPAGANDA BANNERS MAN WALKING PAST CLOSED PUBLIC PARK WITH LENIN STATUE WOMAN RIDING BICYCLE
- Embargoed: 28th April 2020 05:12
- Keywords: ASEAN Vietnam coronavirus video conferencing
- Location: HANOI, VIETNAM
- City: HANOI, VIETNAM
- Country: Vietnam
- Topics: Health/Medicine
- Reuters ID: LVA001C9GOS3R
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: EDITORS PLEASE NOTE: AUDIO QUALITY AS INCOMING
Southeast Asian leaders held a special meeting over video conference on Tuesday (April 14) to address the novel coronavirus outbreak.
It marks the first time in the association's 53-year history that the leaders were not able to meet in person.
Vietnamese Prime Minister Nguyen Xuan Phuc chaired the meeting from Hanoi, with the other leaders participating from their respective countries.
At the beginning of the meeting, Phuc warned that ASEAN members should not let their guard down against the virus.
The ASEAN leaders will continue the video meetings in the afternoon, along with the participation of ASEAN+3, which includes China, Japan and South Korea.
(Production: Thinh Tien Nguyen, Minh Nguyen)
- Copyright Holder: POOL (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None