- Title: Palestinians suspend official contacts with Israel -president
- Date: 21st July 2017
- Summary: RAMALLAH, WEST BANK (JULY 21, 2017) (REUTERS) PALESTINIAN PRESIDENT MAHMOUD ABBAS HEADING LEADERSHIP MEETING PALESTINIAN OFFICIALS AT MEETING MEETING IN PROGRESS PALESTINIAN PRIME MINISTER RAMI HAMDALLAH AND OTHER OFFICIAL AT MEETING (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) PALESTINIAN PRESIDENT MAHMOUD ABBAS, SAYING: "I declare on behalf of the Palestinian leadership first: the suspension of all contacts with the occupation state (Israel) on all levels until Israel cancels its measures against our Palestinian nation in general and against Jerusalem and at Al-Aqsa mosque in specific and preserves the status quo at Al-Aqsa mosque. We refuse what is called electronic gates because these are political measures covered by fake security cover." MEETING IN PROGRESS EXTERIOR OF PALESTINIAN PRESIDENTIAL COMPOUND
- Embargoed: 4th August 2017 20:56
- Keywords: Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas suspends all official contacts with Israel Al-Aqsa compound in Jerusalem
- Location: RAMALLAH, WEST BANK
- City: RAMALLAH, WEST BANK
- Country: Palestinian Territories
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace
- Reuters ID: LVA0016QNW6KN
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas on Friday (July 21) ordered the suspension of all official contact with Israel until it removed new security measures at a Jerusalem holy site.
Palestinians have clashed with Israeli security forces outside the shrine for days and on Friday three were killed when fighting broke out as people protested against the installation of metal detectors at entrances to the Noble Sanctuary-Temple Mount compound that is holy to Muslims and Jews.
There have been daily confrontations between Palestinians hurling rocks and Israeli police using stun grenades since the detectors were placed outside the sacred venue, known to Muslims as Al-Aqsa compound and to Jews as Temple Mount, on Sunday, following the killing of two Israeli policemen.
The shrine includes the al Aqsa Mosque, the third-holiest site in Islam, and the golden Dome of the Rock. It was also the site of an ancient Jewish temple, the holiest place in Judaism.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None