- Title: Palestinian cabinet convenes in Gaza in move to reconcile with Hamas
- Date: 3rd October 2017
- Summary: GAZA CITY, GAZA (OCTOBER 3, 2017) (REUTERS) EXTERIOR OF MINISTER'S COUNCIL BUILDING IN GAZA
- Embargoed: 17th October 2017 09:07
- Keywords: Palestinians reconciliation Fatah Hamas Gaza government
- Location: GAZA CITY, GAZA
- City: GAZA CITY, GAZA
- Country: Palestinian Territories
- Topics: Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA00171HCX8N
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: ++PLEASE NOTE: AUDIO AS INCOMING++
Prime Minister Rami al-Hamdallah on Tuesday (October 3) chaired his first meeting of the Palestinian cabinet in Gaza in a move towards reconciliation between the mainstream Fatah party and Islamist group Hamas.
Hamas seized the coastal enclave in 2007 in fighting with Fatah forces loyal to President Mahmoud Abbas.
The reconciliation process, which is beginning with the cabinet session, was promoted by Egypt and other U.S.-allied Arab countries.
Hamas, considered a terrorist group by Israel and the West, last month disbanded its Gaza shadow government, after Egypt, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates imposed an economic boycott on its main donor, Qatar.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None