- Title: LEBANON: Plane carrying German aid arrives
- Date: 22nd August 2006
- Summary: (EU) BEIRUT, LEBANON (AUGUST 21, 2006) (REUTERS) GERMAN MILITARY PLANE TAXIING ON TARMAC AT BEIRUT'S INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT GERMAN FLAG ON PLANE'S TAIL FIN VARIOUS OF LEBANESE SOLDIER ON AIRPORT TARMAC AS PLANE APPROACHES VARIOUS OF AID BEING UNLOADED FROM AIRCRAFT
- Embargoed: 6th September 2006 15:57
- Location: Lebanon
- Country: Lebanon
- Topics: Social Services / Welfare
- Reuters ID: LVA39XXRP7TF8A8SZOVKP0RL6YJ0
- Aspect Ratio: 4:3
- Story Text: STORY A German military aircraft arrived at Beirut's International airport on Monday (August 21) carrying humanitarian for Lebanese victims of Israel's 34-day war with the Lebanese Hizbollah guerilla group.
Germany has so far contributed a total of 4.1 million euros in humanitarian to Lebanon.
The Lebanese government has estimated that the damage from the war will cost $3.6 billion to repair. A donors conference on humanitarian aid is set for August 31 in Stockholm and a second meeting may be held to address Lebanon's shattered infrastructure.
The aid, which includes medical equipment and foodstuffs, will be distributed to towns and villages throughout Lebanon.
U.S. President George W. Bush on Monday announced a $230 million aid package to Lebanon that includes 25,000 tons of wheat.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None