- Title: USA: Chilean miners honored at CNN Heroes show
- Date: 22nd November 2010
- Summary: LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES (NOVEMBER 20, 2010) (REUTERS) ( ** BEWARE FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY **) VARIOUS CHILEAN MINERS ON RED CARPET 2010 CNN HEROES HONOREES. JENNIFER NETTLES AND KRISTIAN BUSH OF SUGARLAND TALKING TO PRESS LL COOL J ON RED CARPET (SOUNDBITE) (English) JON BON JOVI, MUSICIAN, SAYING: "In the affordable housing issue I told her this was the way we were going to shine a light on the beautiful work she does. And the thing is often times people want to get involved, they just don't know always with whom or how. And a show like CNN Heroes spotlights it." MARISA TOMEI ON RED CARPET (SOUNDBITE) (English) JOHN LEGEND, MUSICIAN, SAYING: "Well I think it illustrates what's possible. You don't have to be rich. You don't have to be famous to give back and help in your community. It shows everyone around the world they can do it to." JON BON JOVI ON RED CARPET RENEE ZELLWEGER ON RED CARPET AARON ECKHART TALKING TO PRESS (SOUNDBITE) (English) KEVIN MCKIDD, ACTOR, SAYING "I think America, I'm gong to say compared to Britain, Britain, I love Britain, it's my home, you know sometime they aren't the most charitable people. It's kind of a legacy of Margaret Thatcher I think. And I think America is a kind of a bit better that side of things. And we've definitely learn since we've been in America, people are a lot more charitable here."
- Embargoed: 7th December 2010 01:00
- Location: Usa
- Country: USA
- Topics: Disasters / Accidents / Natural catastrophes,Arts / Culture / Entertainment
- Reuters ID: LVAAO63WNISIX6E5DBPXJQ9W4PYU
- Aspect Ratio: 4:3
- Story Text: The thirty-three Chilean miners and some of their rescuers kicked off the CNN Heroes show on Saturday (November 20), the network's annual celebration of ordinary people who do good work to help out their neighbors.
The honorees ranged from Magnus Macfarlane-Barrow of Argyll, Scotland who started Mary's Meals which provides daily meals in school for over 400,000 children in Africa, Asia, Latin America and Eastern Europe to Evans Wadongo of Nairobi Kenya who invented a solar power LED so poor villagers can utilize clean renewable and cheap power.
Last year's "Hero of the Year" Efren Penaflorida of Cavite City, Philippines, who helped start Dynamic Teen Company which helps education and provide services to the disadvantaged children in his hometown, said the award show is an important event.
"This CNN Heroes cause everyone that there is a here inside of us. Even ordinary people, everyday people never to ordinary to be a hero," said Penaflorida.
John Legend, who performed at the awards, said it was important to inspire others, "I think it illustrates what's possible. You don't have to be rich. You don't have to be famous to give back and help in your community. It show's everyone around the world they can do it to."
Jon Bon Jovi said the awards were important to get others to educate others to help out, "the thing is often times people want to get involved, they just don't know always with whom or how. And a show like CNN Heroes spotlights it."
Demi Moore, Jessica Alba, Gerard Butler, and LL Cool J were among the other stars who were on hand to honor those who have started groups or organization to make a difference and help their fellow men and women.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None