- Title: USA: TENNIS - 2007 U.S Open preview
- Date: 25th August 2007
- Summary: NEW YORK, NEW YORK, UNITED STATES (AUGUST 22, 2007) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF US OPEN DRAW
- Embargoed: 9th September 2007 04:39
- Location: Usa
- Country: USA
- Topics: Sport
- Reuters ID: LVA2SX3WDWY97O92C6QC9E6GGL29
- Aspect Ratio: 4:3
- Story Text: The world's best tennis players descend on New York in preparation for the final Grand Slam of the season which start on Monday.
Work is underway at New York's Flushing Meadows to prepare the hard courts for the 2007 U.S. Open which begins on Monday (August 27).
Full capacity crowds are expected as Roger Federer chases a fourth successive U.S. Open title in his ongoing quest to become the best male player of all time.
The 26-year-old Swiss has 11 grand slam titles and is hurtling like a hurricane towards Pete Sampras's record of 14. Another triumph in New York would give Federer three of the four grand slam titles for the second year in a row.
But according to the U.S. Davis Cup Captain, Patrick McEnroe, the draw pits some major players against Federer, including American Andy Roddick.
"I think that's probably likely that they play in the quarter finals. If you're going to be Roddick, you have to try and look at the bright side which is maybe playing Federer a little earlier in the tournament will give him a better chance then playing him late because Federer has been so dominant once he gets to a Grad Slam final."
On the Women's side, world number one Justine Henin leads the walking wounded contingent of top women's contenders. Nursing a sore shoulder, she has dominated the women's tour with six titles.
Depending on the how all play out, Henin could face either of the the Williams sisters, Serena and Venus, who have snagged the other two grand slams, but they too have injury issues.
Venus said, however, she has high hopes for the tournament.
"My expectations are very high. I always go into the tournament expecting the very best and I always am working really hard to hold the plate up, or in this case the cup. So just round by round, I feel really positive and excited."
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Footage contains identifiable children: users must ensure that they comply with local laws and regulations governing the publishing of this material.