- Title: GERMANY: Rolling Stones start tour of Germany with concert in Munich
- Date: 20th July 2006
- Summary: (SOUNDBITE) (German) JOSEF SCHWARZ, ROLLING STONES FAN SAYING: "We're fascinated that they would put on such a show at their age! Jumping around up there like that at 65 is incredible." (SOUNDBITE) (German) EVA MOELLER, ROLLING STONES FAN SAYING: "They started long before my time and I heard this song and that song and then once I went to one of their concerts and was really impressed. The prices they charge are hefty but it's really worth it and that's okay." (SOUNDBITE) (English) DAVID O'CONNOR, ROLLING STONES FAN FROM RUGBY, ENGLAND SAYING: "We go to see the Stones in many places. We've seen them in England, in Holland, America so sometimes, we just go to see the Stones. We love the Stones. Got the t-shirt there, yeah. (Question: why do you love them? Tell me.) Because they're brilliant. They're the best rock and roll band in the world. Who else? The Stones!" (SOUNDBITE) (English) KEN O'REILLY, ROLLING STONES FAN FROM RUGBY, ENGLAND SAYING: "As they get older, they get better, without any shadow of a doubt. They get better. Like all of us, we get older, we get better, they get better. The best band you'll ever see. Can't beat them."
- Embargoed: 8th August 2006 09:56
- Location: Germany
- Country: Germany
- Topics: Arts / Culture / Entertainment
- Reuters ID: LVA3GKMLMRHR9PE1O10EDC5T3E7U
- Aspect Ratio: 4:3
- Story Text: The Rolling Stones started their tour of Germany on Sunday (July 16) with a concert in Munich.
The concert was held at Munich's Olympic stadium as part of the "A Bigger Bang" tour. The European tour kicked off in Milan five days earlier.
The start of the tour was delayed due to the injuries 62-year-old guitarist Keith Richards suffered some weeks ago when he fell off a palm tree on the Fiji islands.
Some 50,000 fans of Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, Charlie Watts and Ron Wood were treated to classics like "Jumping Jack Flash", as well as new song "Oh no, Not You Again."
David O'Connor, a Stones fan from the English town of Rudby near Coventry tries to follow the Rolling Stones around as much as he can.
"We go to see the Stones in many places," O'Connor told Reuters Television.
"We've seen them in England, in Holland, America. We love the Stones," he said, adding, "They're the best rock and roll band in the world. Who else? The Stones!"
German Stones fan Josef Schwarz expressed admiration for his favourite band.
"We're fascinated that they would put on such a show at their age! Jumping around up there like that at 65 is incredible," he said.
The Rolling Stones will also hold concerts in the German cities of Hanover, Berlin, Cologne and Stuttgart.
Performances in Nuremberg, Leipzig and Frankfurt were cancelled because of Richards' accident.
Ticket prices in Munich ranged from 90 euros (114 US dollars) to "VIP tickets" at 350 euros (444 US dollars).
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None