- Title: CZECH REPUBLIC: Protest held against plans for U.S. missile shield
- Date: 6th April 2009
- Summary: VARIOUS OF BAND ON STAGE PERFORMING DANCING PROTESTERS IN SQUARE
- Embargoed: 21st April 2009 18:26
- Location: Czech Republic
- Country: Czech Republic
- Topics: International Relations
- Reuters ID: LVA97KWI01V8YFAF87C485YPCQGW
- Aspect Ratio: 4:3
- Story Text: About 1,000 demonstrators protest in Prague against a planned U.S. missile shield in Czech Republic.
Some 1,000 protesters gathered in Prague's Venceslav square on Sunday (April 5) to protest against U.S. missile shields planned in the Czech Republic and Poland.
The protest was one of a number of demonstrations held in Prague on Sunday to coincide with a visit by U.S. President Barack Obama and an EU-U.S.
Summit in the city.
The organiser of the demonstration, Jan Majicek said that seventy percent of Czechs were against the plan,
"We don't want foreign military bases in the Czech Republic,"
Obama earlier defended the plans in an address he delivered to an estimated 30,000 people who had gathered outside Prague castle to listen to his open air speech. He said the United States would continue to develop a missile defence shield unless Iran gave up its nuclear programme.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.