- Title: FRANCE: World Cup trophy to travel in style
- Date: 1st June 2010
- Summary: (**** FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY ***) VARIOUS OF SUPERMODEL NAOMI CAMPBELL OPENING CASE AT PRESENTATION (SOUNDBITE) (ENGLISH) SUPERMODEL NAOMI CAMPBELL, SAYING: "I think what this cup symbolises to all children all over the world is hopes and dreams of their passion that can come true and the blood, sweat and tears that is going to go into this, to kick in balls to get this cup is going to be amazing." VARIOUS OF CAMPBELL AND VUITTON OFFICIALS CASE AND WINNERS' TROPHY
- Embargoed: 16th June 2010 09:32
- Location: France
- Country: France
- Topics: Arts / Culture / Entertainment
- Reuters ID: LVA7U4J3EQYACEGW9JSVTYCG83OW
- Aspect Ratio: 4:3
- Story Text: Whoever the World Cup trophyup with, it will be travelling in style. Luxury handbag and luggage makers, Louis Vuitton, have designed and crafted the trophy case for the cup.
The leather case was unveiled on Tuesday (June 1) along with the replica World Cup which is given to winners. The original cup itself remains the permanent property of the Fifa.
British supermodel, Naomi Campbell, installed the trophy in the luxury case, handing it with gloves as tradition requires only winners of the Cup may touch it.
"I think what this cup symbolises to all children all over the world is hopes and dreams of their passion that can come true and the blood, sweat and tears is going to go into this, to kick in balls to get this cup is going to be amazing," Campbell told reporters at the unveiling.
The World Cup trophy was previously transported in an aluminium trunk.
The new, considerably more stylish trophy case was hand-crafted over a hundred hours at Louis Vuitton's workshop in Asnieres, just outside Paris. In signature Louis Vuitton brown, it features the famous LV monogram and the distinctive locks invented by Georges Vuitton, son of Louis.
"The Fifa knows that Louis Vuitton has a luggage conception and casing tradition and that it is used to helping the most prestigious objects travelling all over the world - that (Louis Vuitton) knows how to wrap them up in cases. The Fifa went to Louis Vuitton and asked for a packaging for the World Cup trophy. It sounds obvious and very logical to me that such a prestigious item as the World Cup be wrapped by the most prestigious cases of the world," said Patrick-Louis Vuitton, Director Of Special Orders For Vuitton The house is accustomed to making bespoke items, creating around 450 hand-made pieces to order every year.
The case was set to leave for Johannsburg the same day of it's unveiling.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None