- Title: USA: Kristen Stewart and Dakota Fanning channel Joan Jett and the Runaways
- Date: 26th January 2010
- Summary: PARK CITY, UTAH, UNITED STATES (JANUARY 24, 2010) (REUTERS) (SOUNDBITE) (English) KRISTEN STEWART AND DAKOTA FANNING, ON ACTING OUT ROMANTIC RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN JETT AND CURRIE, SAYING: Dakota: "I didn't really think about it. I still haven't really thought about it, which is still kind of another thing... [Kristen: You've blocked it out] No, no. It's just another thing that was in the story. Kristen: I mean Joan and Cherie, like we've said a million times, have such a unique bond. The fact that they made out when they got sort of crazy back in the day, it really has nothing to do ... Of course people are going to want to know about stuff like that but what's really more interesting is, like, how much they love each other in a weird way. It's not really a romantic relationship, it's friendship." PARK CITY, UTAH, UNITED STATES (JANUARY 24, 2010) (REUTERS) MICHAEL SHANNON TALKING TO PRESS (SOUNDBITE) (English) MICHAEL SHANNON, SAYING: "The thing that's very revealing to me in it, is that you realize that rock and rollers are just real people that struggle with a lot of the same things everybody struggles with. This is one particular way of dealing with life's issues, is rock and roll. Some people deal with it in other ways but the issues are all the same."
- Embargoed: 10th February 2010 11:00
- Location: Usa
- Country: USA
- Topics: Arts / Culture / Entertainment
- Reuters ID: LVA9XMMLGRCHCTARAP7WB0N7AQOT
- Aspect Ratio: 4:3
- Story Text: Kristen Stewart and Dakota Fanning arrived at the Sundance Film Festival with a "buzz" surrouding their rocker chick flic, "The Runaways." The film, which premiered over the weekend, details the life and times of Joan Jett and Cherie Currie and the legendary group that paved the way for future generations of girl bands Stewart, best known for playing Bella in the tween vampire saga, "Twilight", takes on a much edgier role as Joan Jett. Dakota Fanning plays "The Runaways" front woman, Cherie Currie.
Jett acted as executive producer of the film, working closely with Stewart to try to nail down the story as accurately as possible.
Kristen Stewart said that playing Joan was hard work, with added pressure, but that there was something about the role that made her want to get involved.
"Yeah, really every project is the same. I choose things for reasons that I don't even know," said Stewart. "For some reason I really feel something more for this particular thing. It wasn't like I was thinking Oh, I really want to do something edgy because I had been doing "Twilight."
Both Jett and Currie worked closely with with their actress counterparts. Neither of them expected the film to get the reception that it has gotten at the Sundance Film Festival.
"I always knew the Runaways was a great idea and that I thought we were an awesome band then," said Jett. "And I was shocked when people didn't get it. But yeah, I'm pleasantly overwhelmed at all the buzz on it. It's really great."
Currie thinks it is about time that The Runaways got this kind of attention.
"We always believed that the band deserved more recognition and the fact that we're getting it now, 30 some odd years later is beyond amazing," said Currie.
"The Runaways" also stars Oscar nominated Michael Shannon as the flashy music producer Kim Fowley.
The movie is slated to open in theaters in May.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None