- Title: GAZA: Israeli army kills five militants in Gaza
- Date: 23rd May 2008
- Summary: (BN09) RAFAH, GAZA (MAY 23, 2008) (REUTERS) ISRAELI TANKS OPERATING IN THE DISTANCE MORE OF TANKS MEDICS LIFTING STRETCHER WITH BODY OF HAMAS MILITANT KILLED BY ISRAELI TROOPS MEDICS PLACING STRETCHER WITH BODY IN AMBULANCE MEDICS PLACING STRETCHER WITH SECOND BODY IN AMBULANCE
- Embargoed: 8th June 2008 05:41
- Topics: War / Fighting,International Relations
- Reuters ID: LVAC0K7SMYUCGBDPFPJ991LNVLNJ
- Aspect Ratio: 4:3
- Story Text: Israeli troops operating in the southern tip of the Gaza strip, Rafah, kill three Hamas and two Islamic Jihad militants as they continue to roll tanks in and out of southern Gaza.
Israeli troops killed five Palestinian militants on Friday (May 23) in raids into the Hamas-controlled Gaza Strip, Palestinian medical workers and a militant group said.
An Israeli air strike on gunmen east of the southern city of Rafah killed three Hamas militants, medical workers said. An Israeli army spokeswoman confirmed a strike had been carried out against militants who had fired an anti-tank missile at troops, moderately wounding a soldier.
Separately, the Islamic Jihad militant group said two of its gunmen were killed by Israeli soldiers in the central Gaza Strip.
The army spokeswoman said soldiers fired at a group of gunmen who had attempted to plant a bomb near Israel's border fence with the Gaza Strip.
Heavy clashes erupted before dawn when Israeli troops entered an area known as Sufa in the southeast of the coastal enclave.
An Israeli army spokesman said troops had been operating in the area since Thursday evening and clashed with militants but he had no information about Palestinian casualties.
Medical workers said soldiers arrested about 30 Palestinians during the raid. The army said it was checking the report.
The latest violence came a day after a Palestinian suicide bomber blew up a truck laden with four tonnes of explosives near an Israeli border crossing with the Gaza Strip, killing only himself.
Israel frequently raids the coastal territory in what it describes as an effort to curb cross-border rocket attacks.
Egypt is trying to mediate a ceasefire agreement between Israel and the Gaza Strip's Hamas rulers but progress has been stalled by disagreement over the scope of the deal.
Hamas official Mushir al-Masri accused Israel of intensifying attacks against his group to force it to accept the truce deal.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2011. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None