- Title: JAPAN: Madonna performs to a sold out concert in Tokyo, Japan.
- Date: 21st September 2006
- Summary: WIDE OF FANS AND TOKYO DOME / PAN TO STALLS
- Embargoed: 7th October 2006 18:14
- Location: Japan
- Country: Japan
- Topics: Arts / Culture / Entertainment,Music
- Reuters ID: LVA45198FID25CW8RRTBWBWJSRW5
- Aspect Ratio: 4:3
- Story Text: Pop star Madonna performed to a sold out crowd on Wednesday (September 20) at Tokyo in her Japan leg of Confession world tour after two performances in Osaka. More than 50,000 fans not only from all over Japan but also from Japan's neighbouring countries turned out to see the 48-year-old U.S. singer's performance.
Tickets have already being sold out since their sales in April. The price of a premium seat is being auctioned online at an average of 500,000 yen (4,250 USD). The official outlets, when they had tickets earlier this year, were selling them at 50,000 yen (425 USD).
"It's very worth it. It's worth everything for Madonna." said Ste Wang and Benny yang, both came from Taiwan by air just to join this concert. They paid nearly 5,000 USD for their four-day Japan visit which includes a ticket of a premium seat.
"Ticket price for a premium seat is not so expensive considering her age. At any rate this might be her last performance in Japan." said 45-year-old fan Masuo Tsuchiya who has been huge Madonna fan for almost 20 years.
The 48-year old U.S. pop star has outraged Christian groups across Europe by staging a mock crucifixion on her global tour. But almost all of Japanese fans are non-Christian and they seemed unlikely to be offended by Madonna's act.
"Though I am not a devout Christian, I too feel uncomfortable if she took their feelings lightly. But I believe Madonna." said 35-year-old Yuko Hiraga.
Madonna spent two hours churning out most of the tunes (nine out of 20) from her new album, 'Confessions on a Dancefloor', as well as a few old hits such as 'Like a Virgin' and 'Lucky Star'.
"My mother loves Madonna too. I think every woman is dreaming of being like her. I admire her physical beauty." said 18-year-old fan Natsumi Umeda.
Madonna ends her Japan tour with her second Tokyo Dome performance on September 21. END
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2011. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None