- Title: UNITED KINGDOM: UN honours fallen peacekeepers
- Date: 29th May 2010
- Summary: NAQOURA, LEBANON (JANUARY 28, 2010) (ORIGINALLY 4:3) (REUTERS) U.N. MEMBER FLAGS OUTGOING UN PEACEKEEPING COMMANDER GENERAL CLAUDIO GRAZIANO AND NEW COMMANDER MAJOR-GENERAL ALBERTO ASARTO CUEVAS SIGNING HANDOVER PAPERS GRAZIANO SHAKING HANDS WITH CUEVAS
- Embargoed: 13th June 2010 15:33
- Location: United Kingdom
- Country: United Kingdom
- Topics: War / Fighting,International Relations
- Reuters ID: LVAEL4YQW2RSOFOR7NCG35KZL5ZL
- Aspect Ratio: 4:3
- Story Text: On the eve of the International Day of United Nations Peacekeepers, member of the U.N. gathered on Friday (May 28) to remember peacekeepers worldwide who have died in service.
Dr. Asha-Rose Migiro, the deputy secretary-general of the United Nations presided over the memorial, which included a wreath-laying ceremony and a minute's silence.
"This year's observance is even more poignant than most. One hundred and twenty one peacekeepers lost their lives in 2009, one of the highest tolls ever. And one day this January a hundred and one members of the United Nations family from 29 countries were killed when Haiti was struck by an earthquake. Ninety six of them were peacekeepers -- it was the biggest single loss of life in the history of the United Nations peacekeeping. We will never forget the pain and sorrow of January 12, 2010," Migiro told the gathering.
Alain le Roy, under secretary-general for peacekeeping operations, said that an average of three peacekeepers lose their lives every day.
"In the last five years alone over 700 peacekeepers have lost their lives, an average of three peacekeepers dead a week. These brave men and women were willing to go where most people would not dare to -- all to give vulnerable population a fighting chance for peace," le Roy said.
The United Nations has some 120,000 peacekeepers in service in 15 nations around the world and so far they have served in up to 64 operations worldwide.
International Day of United Nations Peacekeepers is observed on May 29.
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None