- Title: KENYA: CRICKET - Uganda's women retain regional cricket title
- Date: 23rd December 2008
- Summary: NAIROBI, KENYA (DECEMBER 20, 2008) (REUTERS) AERIAL VIEW OF KENYA NATIONAL WOMEN'S CRICKET TEAM PLAYING UGANDA UGANDA PLAYERS WATCHING GAME KENYAN PLAYER BOWLING, UGANDA BATSWOMAN SCORING RUNS
- Embargoed: 7th January 2009 11:05
- Location: Kenya
- Country: Kenya
- Topics: Sport
- Reuters ID: LVA2I042I4DDSC89PI2LUDPWN57M
- Aspect Ratio: 4:3
- Story Text: Kenya hosts Zambia, Tanzania, Uganda among others for regional women's cricket tournament.
Uganda women's national cricket team retained its supremacy in the region after it edged past Kenya by 10 runs to retain the East African women's title in Nairobi, Kenya on Saturday (December 20).
"This means a lot to our country. It has given courage to us and Uganda Cricket Association to put in more efforts for the girls' tournaments and to provide all the facilities necessary for the girls at the moment. Since this is a great win we hope everything is going to be fine," said Christian Ariemo, the Ugandan captain.
Kenya won the toss and limited Uganda to 94 runs out for 44 overs as they took 10 Ugandan wickets. Uganda bowled with great economy and limited Kenya to 84-8 for 41.
"We are feeling good because we fought hard for it. We are not feeling very bad but we were hopeful for today, we fought hard but it didnt work out. But we know we are much better than the Ugandans, it is just that they won today," said Kenyan captain Emily Ruto.
Uganda won all her preliminary matches against Rwanda, Tanzania and hosts Kenya by five wickets before the finals.
Cricket is not as popular in Kenya as rugby, athletics or soccer but insiders say more women should be encouraged to play the game so the Kenya's level of play can improve.
"There are not many people sponsoring the game and development, what they really need to work on is development so that they can come up with more players to give the ones that are there competition," said Dominic Wesonga, a budding cricketer.
Tanzania claimed third place after beating debutant Rwanda who came last in the tournament by 242 runs.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None