- Title: LEBANON: Clashes erupt between rival gunmen in Palestinian camp inside Lebanon
- Date: 7th August 2011
- Summary: AIN EL-HILWEH CAMP, SIDON, LEBANON (AUGUST 6, 2011) (REUTERS) WIDE OF THE ENTRANCE OF THE AIN EL-HILWEH CAMP WHERE CLASHES ERUPTED BETWEEN PALESTINIAN GROUP FATAH AND ISLAMIST GROUP JUND AL-SHAM RESIDENTS FROM THE CAMP FLEEING MORE OF THE RESIDENTS FLEEING AND AUDIO OF GUNFIRE VEHICLE LEAVING THE CAMP MORE OF PEOPLE FLEEING
- Embargoed: 22nd August 2011 01:15
- Location: Lebanon, Lebanon
- Country: Lebanon
- Topics: Conflict
- Reuters ID: LVA6I1FZWO2ZCBQPBBL51H9USU3B
- Aspect Ratio: 4:3
- Story Text: Clashes erupted on Saturday (August 6) between militants of two rival Palestinian groups Fatah and Jund al-Sham wounding nine people, two of them seriously, and forcing many residents to flee.
The clash in Ain al-Hilweh followed a foiled bomb attempt on Friday against a local Fatah leader by suspected members of the al Qaeda-inspired Jund al-Sham group.
Witnesses said fighters used rocket-propelled grenades as well as automatic rifles in the fighting, which lasted at least an hour despite efforts by camp residents to end it.
Lebanese authorities have very little influence inside the well-armed Palestinian camps, home to 400,000 refugees. Sunni Islamist militants have a substantial presence in the camp.
Ain al-Hilweh, Lebanon's largest Palestinian refugee camp, has seen several deadly skirmishes in the past between Fatah, the main Palestinian faction in Lebanon, and Jund al-Sham, which sent militants to Iraq to fight U.S. and allied forces
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None